Gaming on MBP 15in i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fcpeditor113, Sep 7, 2010.

1. fcpeditor113 macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

I just installed Win7 using Boot Camp last night, and today I downloaded a MMORPG I play. It's a pretty low end free game so it doesn't require much. But after about 10 minutes of gaming I noticed that my MBP sounded like it had a extremely crappy fan like I have in my old eMachines Desktop, as well as it was a bit hot near the power adapter side of the laptop mainly while I had the power adapter plugged in. I was slightly worried that this could mess up my laptop (I use this for college and my personal stuff). My question is if any of these could damage my MBP at all?

Thanks for any help.

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

download istat pro, its a widget that will tell you your temperatures, and i am running SC2 on my 2010 15" i7 and it is very hot to touch but its been running for hours, and it is fine, remember a macbook pro does not cool processor, it allows the processor to distribute the heat across the body and then the fans cool the body, so it if its hot on the right side then you have an issue =D haha also thats by macbook pros are made out of aluminum, and why my new macbook pro runs 25 degrees cooler on average vs my old macbook =D

3. fcpeditor113 thread starter macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

Ah, cool I didn't know that. Well after a while it does distribute it to the left side and doesn't focus it on the right side completely. So as long as it is on left and right side it is all cool. Sweet.

Thanks.

4. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

well if your computer failed and the fans stopped or something major happened it would get upwards of 400 degrees f and you would not be able to touch the computer >_< get istat pro and you can keep an eye on your mac, temps range from 110-195 degrees f

5. mark28 macrumors 68000

I actually like the fans, they do a really good job. When I was gaming late at night on OS X, playing Counterstrike Source, the fans sounded like an aircraft taking off.

When I checked the temperatures, it was only 54 degrees. So they do their work very good. :D

6. fcpeditor113 thread starter macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

Thanks TopHatPlus, I did download iStat Pro and I am using it to keep a eye on my heat sinks and temp.

mark28, That is exactly what mine sound like after 30 minutes, a aircraft taking off. At first it scared me but now knowing that it is fine and won't melt any components without getting outrageously high I feel much better about gaming.

7. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha well i can log 5-6 hours at a time on star craft2 with the graphics set on high and my temperatures are GREAT yes its warm but i do expect that being star craft is HUGE graphically

8. neversaynever macrumors member

neversaynever

well, I find mine's sound closer to a concorde:D

9. fcpeditor113 thread starter macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

I wish I had StarCraft 2 to play. So far I have discovered that Boot Camp runs games much smoother, besides the jet taking off in my room haha.

A concorde? :eek: geez, and I though mine was a F-16 lol

10. ljx718 macrumors 6502

to control the fans on windows to game, i put the fans at around 4000 rpms on the mac side then go to bootcamp. they stay at 4000

11. fcpeditor113 thread starter macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

12. bamf macrumors 6502

If you're using iStat Menus, you go to Preferences (of iSM), Sensors, General (bottom left), and click Edit Rules (make sure to enable fan speed control as well). You can edit the fan speeds in there.

13. fcpeditor113 thread starter macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

Okay thanks. I downloaded and see how I can control it now.

So far my laptop hasn't been getting above 140F while gaming in boot camp w/ Windows 7.

14. Collected macrumors regular

Apple should do a deal with Blizzard or Valve to have a demo version of their games on a few demo macbooks in the Apple store. So many people seem curious about game performance, being able to see a game in the store would answer a lot of questions. I'm always tempted to take a DVD in with me and ask if I can install the mac verison of WoW but I very much doubt they'll let you do that!

15. lisharts macrumors member

Agreed, it was one of my biggest questions before ordering. Would have been extrememly helpful to be able to walk into a store and play it. The main problem with taking a DVD in is how long it would take to install and patch. :(

When my MBP arrives Monday my first job is going to be installing WoW (on OSX) and testing it out fully. I plan on uploading a video of various raid situations. I know how helpful that would have been to me when initally researching so figure maybe I can help others in someway.

16. complexcommunic macrumors regular

You should just start it installing on a couple of computers in an apple store and come back the next day to see if any of them have finished installing.

17. fcpeditor113 thread starter macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

Well i know WoW will work good on a MacBook Pro or iMac. I had it installed on my Mac Mini PowerPC G4, and it ran on their pretty smoothly.