Gaming on MBP, 7200rpm or SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfrik, Nov 7, 2009.

1. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Guys I need your opinion between either 7200rpm HDD or a SSD to put on my 15" uMBP for gaming on Bootcamp. Money is not an issue here, I just need the best performance on my MBP running games. I heard that SSD can get slowdowns because of that TRIM thing.

Anyone has opinion on this? Thank you so much.

2. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

An SSD is definitely faster overall. I'm pretty sure the only benefit to games however, is faster loading of levels and probably installing stuff is quicker.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Okay, fo sho the SSD will rofl the 7200rpm. It will rofl the 10000rpm. It may even just rofl the 15000rpm drives (note that this does not include the Seagate Cheetah...that uses a SCSI interface anyway)

Now the way SSDs work is that there are cells (either SLC or MLC) that are grouped into pages which are grouped into blocks. Pages are the smallest thing you can read/write. To erase, however, blocks are the smallest. Because of this, when you delete a file, it simply marks the pages as inactive. Once your SSD is filled with inactive pages (probably in like a day or two despite you using of only like 50% of actual storage) when you go to write something, since there are no more empty pages, it will read the amount of inactive pages it needs to a temp location. It will erase those inactive pages in the temp location, then copy your file into the temp location. Then it will erase the original (not temp) blocks. Then copy the temporary stuff back into. This means in order to write, it does a read, write, erase, read. This is why it's slower.

TRIM simply moves that to a diferent location. So with TRIM, when you delete a file, it doesn't mark the pages invalid. It just does the above process. So that read, write, erase, read process is moved to when you delete instead of when you write. This is good because it's a little better in integrity when you're writing an important file.

Nevertheless, even with the SSD slowed down with that process, it still owns the 15000rpm.

It only helps the most with the loading screen and not too much with the in game play.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

A SSD will make your whole machine faster in general, for games it will mean faster loading times etc... I'm getting a 15" MBP with a SSD at the end of the year :D

5. G4-power macrumors 6502

G4-power

If money is not a problem, a SSD is a no-brainer. In terms of gameplay, I've never understood what other difference does HD speed than load times, but on a SSD it will of course be faster. If you've got a decent amount of RAM, I guess in-game play isn't much different.

But anyway, back on the subject. I have a unibody 13" MBP, and I installed a Seagate Momentus 7200.4, and the vibration on these sturdy, thin and light machines was disturbing. It would resonate on nearly any hard surface, causing extremely irritating noise. I changed to a 5400rpm WD Scorpio Blue, which is actually nearly as fast as most 7200 rpm drives. Don't know about the 15", but I can guess that some 7200rpm drives could make it do the same. But if you've got the money, go for the SSD, have a quiet and non-vibrating, plus of course fast machine.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If money is no issue, why are you gaming on a laptop. Shouldn't you build a behemoth tower and game on dual 30" monitors :p. But yeah, SSD would be a better choice as well as quieter.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As much as it pains me to say it your better off spending the cash on a windows system Ssd or 7200 the limitin factor is your machine.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It doesn't really matter if you choose SSDs or a 7200RPM drive for games. The different is neglible. My only reason to choose a SSD is for the stability when using my laptop in hostile environments. Otherwise for the time being SSDs cannot match the price per GB for HDDs.

Well depends on what games you play, for some games like first-person shooters, a dual monitor setup is a very very bad idea. You can imagine why.

9. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I would deff go with an SSD if money was not an issue.

10. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

I need portability and Macintosh also. So i won't buy something like a Mac Pro or even the i7 HP laptop.

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate it.

Oh yeah, and I noticed the vibration and noise on my late 2007 MBP 15" with the 7200 drive. Especially when I put it in flat surface like my work table. I'd go with the SSD then and put my 500GB original drive in the enclosure as an external drive.

Again, thanks.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you had a SSD there would be no HDD spin up noise. It would also not get as hot, so fans slower, saving power and quieter. Plus the SSD would give you 20 or 30 more mins of battery life, meaning more gaming! I'm getting a SSD on my MBP that I'm getting at the end of this year.

12. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

Agreed!! SSDs are the best!

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, its a shame they cost to much though, in a year or two the prices will come down... Lol but I can't wait that long so I'm getting one built into my MBP when I get it at the end of the year.