Gaming on mid-2010 27" iMac (boot camp)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by solideliquid, Feb 17, 2012.

1. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

I was thinking of using boot camp on my mid2010 27 inch iMac. Mostly for games, but I need to invest in a full version of Windows 7.

Before I spend the cash, I wanted to ask if newer pc games like Rage can run well on my setup?

2. 2GoldFish macrumors newbie

2GoldFish

Tell us a bit more about your current set up would be nice. :)

3. solideliquid thread starter macrumors 6502

solideliquid

I'm not at home but it's stock.

4. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would say upgrade the RAM to 8 or 26GB of RAM if you plan to game. If you plan on gaming this on windows 7, I would suggest at leat have 2GB of ram free for mac OS when partitioning the RAM though :apple:

5. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Defrag And Boost

These two programs are amazing to defrag your system and boost your game

GameBooster
    Smart Defrag 2

Both two free softwares from I0Bit Software.

They are great programs, i use them all the time to optimize the system for gaming to get more FPS, check them out.

6. nerp macrumors newbie

Ignore the defrag/optimize advice as it won't do anything.

Yes, your machine will handle games OK, as long as you're OK with not playing in absolute max settings. I have a mid 2010 iMac with the 3.2ghz i3 and ATI 5670 512mb graphics. I can play Source games like CS:S on full settings at native res and get 60+ FPS just fine. I can play portal 2 with nearly-max settings and get 60+ FPS just fine. I haven't encountered a game yet where i can't play on decent settings. It's a very capable gaming machine as long as you accept its limitations and work around them.

It's good to have a W7 license handy since you can bring it to your next machine when you upgrade.

7. rossip macrumors regular

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full)

http://amzn.com/B004Q0PT3I

This is the OEM version of windows 7, it costs $99.99. The catch is that it becomes exclusively paired with the first computer you install it on, so you wouldn't be able to move it to another mac you may buy in the future. Than again, the next time you buy another mac, you might want windows 8 instead so it depends on your future plans.

8. nerp macrumors newbie

The license technically states that, but it's not impossible to reinstall and reactivate. This is because there is such a thing as hardware failure.

9. Subish macrumors member

I wish I could partition my RAM! :D but yea upgrade the memory.

Since he will be boot camping he will not have to allocate memory as he will just be booting into windows.

I'm assuming your video card in your iMac is Radeon HD 5750 if this is so you will not have any problem playing 90% at high settings(Just not at max rez). If you want full resolution then going to have to bump the settings down a little.

10. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi solideliquid,
    don't play on 'MickeyMouse' - use a real gaming rig:

Attached Files: