Gaming on rMBP and longevity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EliteDeforce, Feb 5, 2014.

1. EliteDeforce macrumors newbie

I have an iMac mid-2010 that plays most things for me, but obviously I can't get Crysis working on it so well. I also have an rMBP 15 that runs everything amazingly, but a computer engineer once told me that it is better to game on a desktop than a laptop due to less wear on components. I'm planning on keeping my rMBP for at least 5-6 years if not more and I don't really care about my iMac, so should I avoid gaming for long periods on my rMBP? Keep in mind, long periods for me is no more than 3 hours at a time with breaks in between.

Cheers!

2. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

I'm a computer engineer. Clearly the computer engineer that spoke to you lives in a world of theory.

Don't worry about it - just give it the airflow the fans need.

3. kelon111 macrumors 6502

In theory the CPU and GPU should outlast the motherboard itself.
    The problem with modern laptops is that almost everything is soldered to the motherboard so it's hard/possible to replace one part if it's soldered on the motherboard.

4. leman macrumors 604

Nobody knows whether your laptop will survive 6 years. It's just the matter of being lucky. Higher stress will probably shorten the machines life but it's not the fact that it will live longer if you avoid gaming. Frankly, I wouldn't stress out about it too much. Just use it how it's convenient for you.