Gaming on rMBP via HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JS77, Jul 18, 2012.

1. JS77 macrumors regular

Whilst I'm waiting for delivery of my rMBP (Upgrading from a faithful 2008 MBP 17") I wondered if anyone has tried gaming (via bootcamp) on their systems via the HDMI?

Is there any noticeable lag or performance issues when doing this? I love the idea of being able to plug my rMBP to a 42" for some downtime :D

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Don't see why there would be lag if you have it in Clamshell mode via HDMI.

3. RVspidey macrumors member

can't see why there should be any problems.

i Used to play with clamshell on my gaming monitor with 100 Hz with absolutely no problems.

4. playsontheleft macrumors regular

I too love this idea! If there are any issues it'd be good to know but, if Apple's claims are true and this thing does indeed have more pixels in it than an HD TV, performance at the maximum possible resolution shouldn't take a hit when connected through HDMI.

One question though - what's "Clamshell" mode? Is it where the computer is closed but still running? If so, how do people game on it in that state? External mouse and keyboard?

5. RVspidey macrumors member

yeah gaming with the laptop closed, and then hook it up to a monitor, with a keyboard and mouse + headset.. so you actually have some sort of gaming desktop experience :)

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Also the GPU will work less harder in 1920x1080 than it will when the Retina display is in use, so you'll actually get better performance.

7. Rocky244 macrumors regular

I've done it quite a bit now... No downsides that I can speak of. Not there should be...

Gaming is generally better on bootcamp I've noticed. Not just slightly better either, quite significantly. I can run higher settings and its much smoother, but that's also expected as well. :apple:

8. Doggonit macrumors regular

I am so looking forward to playing me some games on my nice Dell UltraSharp IPS monitor after 4+ years of not playing anything. 4 years. I don't even know if I'll like it. I might have lost the taste for it.

9. JS77 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to the above replies :)

I only tend to play FPS or TPS games and after 10+ years of being conditioned to the PS3 controller, that's my preferred choice of controller :) Therefore, I use the PS3 MotionJoy Drivers on Bootcamp to use my existing PS3 Controller. Hooked up to the TV, it'll be like playing on a next-gen games machine for me ;)

PS. If anyone else plans on using the Motionjoy drivers, do NOT install the Bluetooth drivers onto the built in bluetooth (It will overwrite the bootcamp drivers and disable your bluetooth). See here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3217444?start=0&tstart=0

You can, however, use a 3rd party bluetooth dongle, or just plug the controller in via the usb cable and it works great :p