Gaming on rMPB, is it 'safe'?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thalin, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Thalin, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Thalin macrumors member

An odd question I know, i'm referring to the heat. Despite having a PC for games, I much prefer doing everything on my Macbook, and my PC is getting on a bit now too so can't handle some of the modern games particularly well. I was thinking about installing Windows via Bootcamp and giving some games a whirl to see how they handle compared to my PC, but i'm hearing that the laptop gets very hot, and considering I have a case like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duzign-Nobi...83229033&sr=8-19&keywords=macbook+retina+case, i'm a little concerned.

Yes, I know they're not designed as gaming machines. I just want to give it a try to compare it to my desktop at least. Does the heat get so bad that it will affect the components and lifespan of the machine? I'd rather not have to keep taking the case on and off either, as it's a brand new machine and I want to keep it protected at all times.

Also, I have the early 2013 base rMPB. I know 8gb will be enough for gaming as games don't use more than that at this point. Obviously having the dGPU will be handy so i'm happy with that too. I notice most of the videos I watch of games on the rMBP that people are using the higher spec processors. Would this make a big difference over the base processor? Not that it really matters honestly, as i'm really not a big gamer.

2. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

i play Skyrim, Dead Space 3, and Tomb Raider on almost high settings via bootcamp Windows 8.1 on my rMBP (specs in my sig). i usually play for an hour or two, and it doesn't get too hot, as the fan will be on full blast. but that case you are using, imo, is terrible for this purpose, as it blocks the vent.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Gaming or not, you should never use a case that blocks the vents. As long as the vents are unobstructed, you can play games all you want without fear of damage. Your Mac will automatically shut down if temps get too high, to prevent damage.

4. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Interesting to hear that you can play those "heavy-hitting" games on the Intel iris graphics with almost-high settings. What resolution do you play them at? Thanks.

5. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

6. Darthmnkyrpm macrumors member

I think you'll be fine. I have a non retina MBP and it runs games just fine. The only thing you need to worry about is that case. The other comments are right, that case blocks the vents, basically making it really hard for your computer to breath. Imagine having to run a marathon with your mouth duck taped shut.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

in the unlikely event that the laptop gets too hot to safely operate, it is designed to automatically shut down

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You can not damage a computer by running anything (unless it's for overclocking or something similar). Computers will slow them selves down if they are too hot and if goes really bad they will just shutdown.

Where did the myth at you can damage a computer by running a standard app come from? I'm sick of hearing it and people worrying about it.

9. Thalin, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

Thalin thread starter macrumors member

It's impressive what this machine can handle. I decided to give it a try, running Skyrim and Dishonored. I've never seen it so smooth, it's so much better than my desktop (not so much in Dishonored as it's not very demanding anyway). Skyrim on the other hand only slowed down in certain areas where it was misty/foggy so that's understandable, and even that maintained 35-40 fps. Everywhere else it maintained 55-60 fps.

This was at 1920x1200 (I think that's what it was) without AA as I didn't really see much point at that resolution. I also tried a lower resolution with AA but decided the first option looked better and was less blurry.

Can't see my desktop PC having much use now other than as a storage machine...

Overall i'm happy with the machine. I'm glad that I have the early 2013 model with the dGPU rather than spending the extra in the new revision, as I know others feel on these boards. The 8gb ram should be alright, obviously for gaming it's fine but I think it will manage for the life of the machine. The processor i've heard dosn't make much difference for what i'll be using the machine for, would it have made much difference going with the higher spec CPU for games do you think? I'm hearing a lot from people here that for tasks outside of gaming there's not a big difference but havn't heard much in reference to gaming.

It's funny really the one thing I didn't consider upgrading when deciding about the machine was the hard drive, maybe I should have thought twice! Thankfully I have quite a large external and my drives on my desktop so I should be OK. Just a case of prioritising!

10. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

are you running on windows? also.. try FXAA.. it's a much less taxing AA. will prob decrease your fps by only 1. this is how it is with mine.

11. Mac.User macrumors 6502

I've been playing the new Batman Arkham Origins, and its just fine, 1920x1200 under Windows.

12. bustyshrimp macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I just got my 15 in Retina macbook pro. I was interested in gaming in bootcamp, however, I am concerned about the heat. Do I need to download any third party fan control software for windows? What do you guys do? Should i just play the games normally in boot camp without any third party apps? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

13. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

no third party apps required. i do use Razer's Game Booster.. just for the purpose of automatically shutting down and reactivating services before and after i game.

14. Thalin thread starter macrumors member

Yes it's in Windows. I feel odd switching back and forth between that and Mavericks though, like i'm betraying the other :confused:

And thanks for the advice on FXAA!

15. Thalin thread starter macrumors member

I just gave a Chivalry Medieval Warfare a go, a game which I purchased for my desktop a year ago but it was simply unplayable on it. I always found it odd as looking at it you would not think it would be damanding at all.

What can I say, it runs at 1920x1200 high settings at 55-60 fps most of the time, does drop on some maps, but still playable. It's just so nice to actually be able to play games like this, I much prefer it to using my desktop I must admit. Just nice to use my Macbook where I want, rather than sitting in a cold room on my PC.