Gaming on the 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceboots06, Jun 28, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi,

I know it's not a bright idea to keep the screen closed when you're gaming on the 13" MBP and you're using it's screen as the primary one, but when you're using an external monitor is it a good idea to keep the screen closed? Will there be overheating on epic levels? I say this because whenever I play games for extended amounts of time (with the screen open) I fear that my home will burn down because of the fan noise and heat of the notebook around the area above the function keys. For aesthetic purposes I would like to keep the screen closed but I'm not sure what would result from this.

Thanks!

2. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I personally would keep the screen open while playing games. The keyboard provides ventilation.

3. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Yes, but do you think that the lack of ventilation would lead to something failing?

4. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

It would make the inside hotter. Parts will fail faster.

5. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Aw, that's the answer I didn't want! :(

6. cababah macrumors 68000

Laptops are engineered to run hotter than desktops...

my advice would be to use the computer as you want to use it and enjoy it. you cannot enjoy anything that you constantly worry about.

7. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Someone needs to stop worrying about their post count, learn to edit their own post so they can append to it, and get out more.

I've ran processor intensive tasks for hours on my notebook while in clamshell mode. It was always ok.

9. tdream macrumors 65816

No they're not. Desktops can run really hot, they have more airspace, more fans and a giant heatsink and look at the huge graphics cards they can run. Compare that to very limited airspace for the laptop and the puny fan. The cooler the laptop the better.

Oh and run with the MBP open, the vent is in front of the screen. The downside to having a sleek exterior.

10. tdream macrumors 65816

What model do you have?

11. cababah macrumors 68000

yes, I agree they run warmer which is inevitable when you cram more power in a smaller space but i am simply stating that a laptop having a higher CPU temp than a desktop does not warrant any worrying or point to any signs that the laptop is defective

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I ran Aperture (slowly) and Photoshop CS on a rev D powerbook driving a 30" ACD. I would convert 100's of RAW files to JPG using a script I wrote where they saved to an external FW drive. It was tough but it worked. I'd also rip and encode movies, which on a rev d PB ... it is also a bitch.