Gaming On The GMA950?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Goftrey, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I was wondering if anyone, who has owned a White/Black MacBook with the GMA950 for a long period of time, can list a few of the games they play(ed) & how well they run/ran? Thanks.

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

You are really limited with options on the GMA950. It was released 8 years ago now. It's quite a few generations old for integrated graphics. Since then for the Mac Integrated solutions we have had the GMA X3100, NVIDIA 9400M G, NVIDIA 320M, Intel HD Graphics, Intel Graphics HD 3000, and Intel Graphics HD 4000.

That being said, there are games that might be playable at this point. Take a look here. I'd recommend a google search as there are multitudes of threads about the topic.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Here's a list of games which will/wont run on the 950. The list was compiled with Atom N270 netbooks in mind but it's still relevant, most are for windows though.

4. mslide macrumors 6502a

I used to play WoW on a late 2006 MacBook when I was into that game and on the road. This was back when that particular MB was still considered new, so 2007'ish timeframe. When playing on just the internal screen, I had to keep all settings at the lowest level in order for the game to be playable... and it still played like crap. Oh how far Intel has come with their integrated GPUs. What a difference between the games I could play back then on that and the games one can play today on a current MBP with integrated graphics only.

If you're asking about playing games today on that, then I'd say you're limited to really old games only. The type of games that pretty much play on anything. That same MB today is basically only good enough for basic computing tasks, like web browsing (and even then it's sluggish).

5. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking more OS X games. I have Windows 8 running in Parallels so I can't really run Windows games at all.