Gaming on the new macbook pro 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ritzbitz, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Ritzbitz macrumors newbie

Not sure if this should be posted here or in the Apple Games forum, but here it goes:

So, since I've had to buy very few books this year, I actually have $1400 left over for this school supply scholarship thing I have for college, and since I have been developing lots of iPhone applications for classes and on my own time, I figured I should get a mac (currently I practically live in my school's mac lab). I was also hoping to get something more portable, since my current laptop, while loyal and in good shape, is quite large and not very fun to haul around campus for 12 hour days sometimes (plus it doesn't fit in any of my purses). In addition to lots of programming I also do things like photoshop, illustrator, animation, and quite a bit of gaming when I actually have free time (aka over breaks)...

The point is, while I am confident in the base 13"'s ability to handle my educational needs, I was wondering what the difference between the two processors would be in gaming (since I am rather competitive when I do game). Most posts I have read only seem to cover the performance of the baseline 13". I will admit that I am rather disappointed in the pricing on the higher end 13" since the only difference is a 320GB hd, which is offered on the lower one for +$50, and a 2.66ghz processor, which is technically only about $40 more than the 2.4ghz one, so even with "apple pricing" that seems ridiculously overpriced. But yeah, if there would be a noticeable difference in frame rate, I would totally consider getting the more expensive one, and if not, I could spend the leftover money on updating other things.

I am mostly concerned, because the apparent bottleneck that my current laptop was used to have was a slow processor (2.1ghz), even though it did handle games like a champ until my cat overheated it and damaged the graphics card (which was kinda also my fault, but I still blame the cat). For example, in games like WoW it could easily have 50-60fps anywhere (with really hight settings) except in dalaran and 25mans, where it would plummet to about 35 and 25fps respectively. Now it gets like 40fps with the lowest settings in most places, and then plummets to 3-7fps in 25mans and stuff... Same thing for games like Dragon Age, Left 4 Dead, and the Sims 3. But yeah, maybe it really wasn't the processor, I just know that that is what I was told by a friend, and now I am paranoid.

Before anyone says anything, the 15" is too expensive and would probably get cumbersome to carry over time-even though the matte screen would be nice for parks-plus screen size isn't an issue since I already have a 21" monitor. And I know that I should just "get a pc" for gaming, but I am a student, and I am poor, and they guy giving me the scholarship money would be quite suspicious if I handed him a receipt for about $1000 for the various parts to build a gaming machine.

This is a really long post... but thanks for any feedback people can give me :D

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

The 266Hz difference will have very little or no effect gaming wise. As both have the same integrated GPU and screen res the gaming experience will be pretty much identical on both models.

3. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Get the lower model.

The GPU will be the bottleneck in the 13" when it comes to gaming.

Also unless you're doing calculations that take days on the CPU, then you will not notice a difference when doing something like compressing a video or such.