Gaming on the rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ventuss, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

I have an iMac and sometimes I use it to play games, graphics are amazing when playing on native resolution, but if I lower it to 1152p/1080p it gets blurry, not as good.

I plan on buying a rMBP and was wondering if I'd get block/soft graphics while playing games on non native resolution. I ask because non retina display games look bad on my new iPad Air, and since it uses the same math (4x pixel density over non retina), it might be the same on rMBP.

I also want to know if rMBP gets hot and noisy when gaming.

Thanks.

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

They won't look "bad", they will look worse then native, but it won't look any worse then if you didn't have a Retina display. The same is true on an iPad, it's only is as bad as an iPad without a Retina display.

I think you're confusing "bad" with "a lower resolution" the Retina display doesn't have anything to do with it, any display you run under its native resolution will look worse, but it can still look really good. I run most of my games at 1680 x 1050 and they look great. Running a game at the full native resolution on a Retina display is really taxing, so it isn't really worth it anyway (and a lot of game UIs don't support HiDPI displays so they get really small).

The rMBPs get hotter and noisier when gaming, but it's not really definable.

3. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Well, if you're used to the retina display, running a game at the active resolution (1440*900) will appear a bit pixelated, but it won't be much worse than if displayed on a screen with a native 1440*900 pixel display (a non-retina display). That being said, the pixel density of the retina display is so high that odd resolutions such as 1680*1050 and 1920*1200 don't appear quite as blurry as a non-retina display running non-native resolutions.

Regards
    Raptor