gaming on this MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgw1283, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

I'd like to play Starcraft 2 when it comes out and C&C 3 right now. How would this computer handle it (I plan on maxing the ram to 4gb too). Also, how good of a computer is this for the money? I was getting a Blackbook but decided this is the one for me. Thoughts?

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I think without a problem.

3. magallanes macrumors regular

or instead you can search for another brand (dell xps for example), 9600m gt is not the best of the market.

4. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

It is for a laptop this thin. The XPS laptops are fat, and the only reason why they're able to fit the higher powered cards in to deal with the heat generated.

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I think that jgw1283 didn't ask for "what notebook is good for gaimimg". He asked whether the MBP 512 vram MBP is good enough for his games and I think that it really is.

Tex

6. moclippa macrumors member

Crysis is one of the most intensive games out, so I believe one can assume that games like C&C and Starcraft 2, will have lower requirements... mostly given that Blizzard generally tries to keep their sys reqs low.

So, here are two videos alleged to be Crysis running on the new Macbook Pros, in different hardware and settings configurations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuaVuAwlwzI

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoQl-_e6Gbc

hope that helps.

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Those are video of the last gen MBP but the OP asks about the previous model.

8. moclippa macrumors member

I'm sorry you are right. Those are videos of the Unibody and you want a previous gen config... just do a quick youtube search you'll find tons of videos of a last gen macbook pro playing games including Crysis.

Or you could just check out the minimum/recommended requirements for the games... if its an intel processor it should handle windows through bootcamp at roughly the same equivilance as a similar spec pc... starcrafts requirements are low so that computer should be able to handle it without a problem.

http://www.freakygaming.com/pc/strategy/starcraft_2/system_requirements
    minimum System Requirements for Starcraft 2
    Processor: 1.4 Ghz Processor
    Memory: 512 MB RAM
    Graphics card: 128 MB RAM video card capable of Hardware TnL. DX10 is not required, but will be supported by SC2 and Blizzard are considering adding DX10 specific effects.
    Pixel Shader 2.0 (Officially Confirmed)

9. Oroak macrumors newbie

Well, as far as I know there are no official requirements stated by Blizzard for Starcraft 2, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the new MBP is going to be able to play SC2 very well.

10. i0Nic macrumors 65816

The real question is, how will the regular Macbook handle SC2?

11. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

I believe that you will have no problems. And get a mac, I hate people that take the cheap way out and get a dell, macs are amazing machines.

12. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Not trying to flame, but why would you hate someone for buying a Dell over a Macbook? There's always advantages and disadvantages with everything.

13. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

ok I'm sorry, hate was a bad word to use. I think if your serious enough to want to buy a Mac then getting a dell is a easy way out.

14. magallanes macrumors regular

Luckily i miss to say Acer.
    :rolleyes:
    Yes, dell xps is heavy, bulk and ugly as hell but can be somethat cheap and powerful. If you are a hardcore gamer then (maybe) a macbook pro can't be the best option.