Gaming over VNC on the mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ubundows, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Ubundows macrumors member

Is it at all possible to play a graphic intensive game, with as little lag as possible on a mac mini via vnc or some other streaming software from an imac or mbp running windows?

2. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

3. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Technically it would work, but the graphics wouldn't be that great and the delay (depending on the speed of your network) would probably make it no good for games that demand quick response. (If you're talking a game like Civilization, it might be fine. For something like Half Life... not so much).

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh boy it would be a pita

doing solid modeling over a vnc connections is painful as hell and that is largely selecting planes, rotating, etc lol

5. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

streammygame.com. Your wish is my command. I've used it on Windows to Windows machines on my home network with some success. Was able to get Crysis running on my laptop with integrated Intel graphics at 720p all settings Very High by streaming over my network using streammygame. The computer that's streaming the game needs to be pretty powerful since it has to both play the came and send the video stream over the network. The more cores the better for this one. With just a MBP or an iMac you might have to turn the settings and resolution down a bit.

6. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

I'd probably be streaming from an alu imac core 2 duo 2.8ghz with 4gb ram over a 54 Mbps Wireless-G netgear router, would that be powerful enough? Plus is there any lag? and does it use loads of bandwidth? I have unlimited but obviously that's within reason.

Thanks for the link by the way.