Gaming Performance vs. Lion?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Tucom, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

There's a thread under Mac and PC games that Mountain Lion is drastically worse than Lion for gaming, is this the case?

2. do1984 macrumors member

Don't know. But I suppose that can actually be true, since Mountain Lion is "an Lion with extended options". Nevertheless, I just boot my Windows 8 bootcamp for gaming instead. Mac gaming is a bad joke for me. I wish Apple let the drivers update up to Nvidia, like they did with Java's Oracle. I get almost 100% increase in FPS running the same game on Windows 8 over Mountain Lion. Sad.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It's the same in my experience, though I suppose it'll depend on your graphics card. I've tried an ATI 5850 (hackintosh) and 320M (13" MBP.)

4. laudern macrumors 6502a

This got me thinking. I can't remember ever getting a video driver update over the last 3 years of using a mac. Does apple ever release video driver updates for their computers?

5. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I believe they're usually included in point updates. Hence why sometimes there are vast differences in download sizes when using Software Update on different models of Macs.

6. laudern macrumors 6502a

I see! To tell the truth, I much prefer apples way of doing graphics updates than allowing the video card company to do it. Im not a gamer on my mac so really I don't need the latest driver, and it allows apple to put its stamp of quality control on the driver, instead of allowing the video card company to pump out half ass drives that may or may not work. A slower process for sure, but a better one.

7. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Unfortunately i never played games enough under lion to notice much difference. I haven't noticed it being unbearable on my 15" MBP...

8. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

Which would be fair comment if the Apple drivers were good. Which they are not.

9. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Depends on the game really. Civ5 is slow as hell on Mountain Lion.