Gaming peripherals with Mac Mini and eGPU

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by DesertSurfer, Nov 19, 2018.

1. DesertSurfer macrumors 6502a

DesertSurfer

Between the Sonoran Desert and the Pacific Ocean
    I'm thinking about the possibility of replacing my gaming pc (4790K @ 4.4 ghz, 16 gb ram, EVGA 980ti) with my mac mini (i7, 16, 512) and an eGPU box for the 980ti, assuming drivers become available for MacOS (Windows in Bootcamp should be fine). My main concern is whether my favorite peripherals (G27 wheel, flight simulation hardware such as yoke, pedals, radios, etc.) will work. I know the G27 doesn't play well with Mac, although much but not all of it can be made to work. If anyone has experience with any of these I would be interested in hearing what you have to say.

2. archer75 macrumors 68020

Look and see if there's drivers. My logitech headphones work. My logitech G13 gamepad works. My razer stuff works.

You will have to use bootcamp to get the card to work(I have the same card).

3. DesertSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

DesertSurfer

For starters, I downloaded Logitech Gaming Software for MacOS Mojave. Then I plugged in my Logirach G27 steering wheel. It did the usual spin all the way right and left, then back to center. I downloaded American Truck Simulator from Steam. In ATS, the wheel is recognized and works (I didn't check if it matches up with the wheels in the trucks, because..), and the accelerator pedal and brakes were recognized in the setup menu, but the clutch and H-shifter were not. Next, I will try using Free the Wheel and see if that fixes anyting.

4. F-Train, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:09 PM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM

F-Train macrumors 6502a

Not sure if you wanted feedback just on Logitech, or more generally. If the latter, on X-Plane, which as I understand it you also use, I'm using two VBK products that the X-Plane store sells:

Gladiator Mk. II Flight Stick: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-gladiator
    T-Rudders Mk. IV Pedals: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-t-rudders-mk-iv

Both work fine on Mojave. I don't have anything to compare them with, but they seem to be fairly well made too. VBK makes more expensive flight sticks with more features, but you have to get on a waiting list for them. For me, I doubt that I'll outgrow the features of the Gladiator Mk. II in the near future.

One thing I like is that the pedals and flight stick are integrated. The pedals are connected by a cable to the flight stick, which in turn is connected to a standard USB port. The pedals also come with a box that can be used for configuration with devices made by other manufacturers.

5. DesertSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

DesertSurfer

Thanks, I am interested in Flight Simulator gaming peripherals. Having only one USB to plug in is indeed very nice. I have spent a fairly ridiculous amount on flight simulation gear (Virtual Fly yoke [Yoko the yoke], Virtual Fly TQ6 throttle quadrant, MFG rudder pedals, and a bunch of other stuff such as radios and switch panels). I will soon get around to trying them out as well (unless someone out there has already done so and knows if they work). But it was easier to start with the wheel.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 at 2:14 PM ---
    After looking into the Free the Wheel software, it appears only to enable force feedback. The clutch and H-shifter still will not work. So I'm giving up on that (I'll continue to use it on my gaming PC). I think that it will also not work using Windows under Boot Camp, but I don't have Windows installed so I can't test it. If anyone has done so, please let me know.

On to flight simulation.

6. F-Train macrumors 6502a

We'll just have to get you flying a Diamond or a Cirrus or an SIAI-Marchetti SF.260. Or an Airbus :)

Check out the SF.260, which was released about three weeks ago. I'm no expert, but I think that Javier Rollon has done a very nice job on it. There are some good, detailed YouTube videos on it, too. It looks like Rollon is serous about on-going development, which to me is a big plus.

7. DesertSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

DesertSurfer

The SF260 looks and sounds good. I will have to check it out once I get done testing things. X-plane is downloading now.

8. DesertSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

DesertSurfer

I tested my controls in X-plane 11 running in Mojave. Here's the summary:

- The Virtual Fly yoke (Yoko the Yoke) is recognized and all flight controls and buttons work.
    - The MFG Crosswind rudder pedals are recognized and work, including the toe brakes.
    - The Virtual Fly TQ6 throttle quadrant works, with one caveat. Each set of levers (power, prop, and mixture) can be calibrated and work. But, the lower detent areas meant for reverse prop, prop feathering, and fuel cutoff, are not recognized as far as I can tell. Virtual Fly has a calibration program, but only for Windows. So it's useable but not fully functional at this time (unless I'm missing something, always possible).

Of course I'm not planning on doing this with the HD630 iGPU. If I had an eGPU, I would be tempted, and I could install windows with Boot Camp and use it that way as well. But I don't have an eGPU. I would like to have one, but my gaming PC is sitting right next to the mini and works fine. Perhaps when I get to the point where I want to replace the CPU and GPU it might make sense to go the eGPU route instead.