Gaming Question on MBP Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pdechavez, Dec 14, 2008.

1. pdechavez macrumors regular

When I play team fortress 2 on crossover games 7.1, performance isnt as great as i thought it wud be. Could it be cause im running it thru crossover? Better to be played on Bootcamp?

My specs are 2.53Ghz, 4gigs RAM, 512MB VRAM 9600GT, 320 5400rpm.

Thanks!

2. nonick macrumors member

hey,
    i've never used crossover, but i'm using VMware (another simulation software) and since it only simulates Windows, the performance is not suitable for gaming.
    i'd suggest you to install one copy of windows with bootcamp for gaming, then the performance would be much better.
    and you can use the same copy for simulation under macos, if you install VMware, since it allows you to boot from bootcamp partition.

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Crossover doesn't support DX9 fully and the game has known minor issues with wine. Crossover is wine 1.1, with a good installer UI and no X11.

I don't have TF2PC so I can't help troubleshoot much, but every HL2-based game I have runs flawlessly. I don't know why TF2 shouldn't play well. Its suggested that you should disable HDR in graphics options in the game.

4. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

So what you mean isthat there WILL BE framerate drops, not cause of my machine but because of wine and the actual crossover program?

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Its limitations of wine and crossover, not your machine. It still shouldn't be dropping frames, TF2 is supposed to run well, just no HDR according to the wine crew. But if you do bootcamp, you'll be golden.