gaming questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgrrsh26, Jul 29, 2009.

1. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

i know i made a post already im sorry but i had more information that could help u help me.

im considering the m17x but i dislike the battery time and size.

i really like the macbook but basically this is what ill be doing as per gaming,

I do game a lot but that is not all i do.

10 hours at most on like a weekend, not every day.
    mabye around -3 hours a day.

I have a 42 inch 1080p ill be playing on.

im going to buy 9600+9400 512mb
    at what settings will i be able to play crysis on?
    im so torn between a macbook i love the os, and m17x but again dislike the battery and size, oh and price.

and i was thinking about building a desktop but i really dislike desktops loll.

any input id really appreciate thanks a lot!!!!! u guys are really helpful here and ive been telling all my friends to join up!!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

A Mac is not for you. As soon as you boot into Windows and run games, you will get the same battery life as every other gaming laptop. The long battery life is only in Mac OSX.

3. sgrrsh26 thread starter macrumors 6502

aGain gaming is not all I do, and if I wereto play games I'd have it plugged in

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Then get the high end 15in or 17in Macbook Pro.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'd get a desktop for gaming and buy a cheap laptop. You can get a good pc desktop that could destroy any laptop out there for ~700 if you build it yourself. Get a 4870 video card for ~150 and a decent cpu/mobo and 4 gigs of ram for extremely cheap these days. Add in a netbook or a macbook and you're good to go for less than a m17x probably.

The truth is, no laptop can really play 1080p at high settings well on new games.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Crysis will run at medium settings at 1280x720
    Pushing it to 1920x1080 is going to reward you with a veritable slide show.

Crysis is a hog. If that's your benchmark, then the MBP is not the machine for you in all honesty.

7. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Getting a MBP for mostly gaming purposes makes little financial or any sense. For one thing, the 9600m is a good GPU but will not play newer games at 1080p (not at stable frame rates anyway).

People who buy gaming laptops fall into one or two categories, some of which are idiotic:

1. too much money to spend
    2. must have a spec'd out laptop
    3. are actual road warriors who need a portable gaming rig due to travel
    4. play at many LAN parties

Basically, I see no reasonable explanation for getting an expensive gaming laptop unless you are #3 and #4. Gaming laptops are horrible bangs for the buck --their performance to price ratio is terrible.

Like so many others, I have a dedicated gaming PC and a portable (and inexpensive) laptop --both of which combine for much less money than a mid-range Alienware gaming laptop, and the tower destroys any gaming laptop (if I put a GTX280 in there).

8. Vader Was Frame macrumors newbie

Can the 9400 in the MBP13 handle Warhammer Online on moderate settings?

Pushed onto a 22" external monitor?

Sorry to hijack thread :eek:

9. Saint Luke macrumors newbie

I think it depends on what the other work you would be using the mac for. If its browsing internet, and normal day to day tasks, and portability, i personally would be going for the good desktop cheap notebook route... I dont like desktops either, but if your paying games a fair bit, chances are your not going to be playing them all over the house, as you'll probably need it plugged in to a power supply, and prop up the back of any notebook get airflow underneath under high load like a game... or buy a notebook cooler.

Myself i play games a bit, but my MBP wasnt bought for this at all, its just a bonus that it can play them. If you do decide to buy a macbook pro, go for the 17". You can run more ram, they will have better battery life because of the size, and like any bigger notebook would have some sort of cooling advantage. If you cant justify that, you really would need to go for a high end 15" if you wanted to be able to play games later on. My 2.4ghz/2gig/256mb 9600 15" with some tweaks and overclocked video card can play say a year old games nicely on med-high settings. I havent tried any graphically intensive new games tho, but crysis on med shaders, and other settings on high/med settings (cant remember which as i think its slightly boring game) at 1280x720 was getting over 25-40fps in the benchmark