Gaming the Educational Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lowbuzz, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowbuzz macrumors member

Due to rampant abuse of the Apple Educational Discount program, Apple, Inc. has announced that the program will no longer be offered as of March 1, 2008.

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Don't you have to purchase through the organization to get the discount? You can't just fax/email them a report card. Heck, a six grader with PhotoShop 3.0 can do that!!!

3. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Are you serious??? :rolleyes:

4. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

I can't believe people come to a public site to openly admit they want to fraud a company. That floors me ...

Kevin :apple:

5. lowbuzz thread starter macrumors member

I am highly offended by the tactics used by individuals with absolutely no class who have caused this horrible turn of events - PLEASE APPLE, BRING BACK THE DISCOUNTS!!!!!

6. lowbuzz thread starter macrumors member

Finally - action!

Apple is now dispatching the FBI to investigate these frauds. BEWARE thee who would dare ever do such a horrible thing.

Despicable!

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

no but you have to have a school ID not a printed schedule or whatever

8. lowbuzz thread starter macrumors member

All praise Apple!

I just got off the phone with Steve Jobs - and he said that the matter is under review.

If the marketing department discovers that they can actually sell more computers and make a greater profit by continuing the educational discounts...

He MIGHT consider reinstating them.

Keep your fingers crossed, folks.

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

The fraud is your (planned) attempt to pass yourself off as a student/staff/faculty member when you've clearly indicated that you don't match any of those descriptions. Educational discount = for educational use. A use other than for that purpose is abuse of the system.

The "gifting" of purchases using an education discount is intended for parents good enough to buy their child a new computer for school. Educational discount = for educational use.

You'll likely never be caught. However, if enough people abuse the system, it won't be offered anymore. It's a violation of the terms of agreement/EULA, but it's hard to catch and prove.

As for a lack of choices for Apple products, there are gaps certainly. I won't debate that. However, with 3 separate types of portables, 3 distinct desktop options, a server option, plus the flexibility of iPods and the iPhone, it's hard to believe that one of those configurations won't meet your needs.

10. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

As a school administrator, I cant agree with you more. It always annoys me to see individuals post on forums such as this with the intent on gaining information on how to get a discount they don't qualify for and don't deserve. It is this abuse which will summon the decline of this great program for educators.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LMFAO you may be a graphic designer but you lack any real business sense.

You complain about getting f'ed either way. My recommendation is you buy a smaller notebook and get an external display. But since you're a graphic designer I guess you could also make a fake school ID just in case you need it.
    :rolleyes: Fact is most will tell you they probably won't check. Take your chances on that computer that will most likely generate some income from your graphic design career.

Oh and yes, you are defrauding a company. People like you are the reason why educational discounts are slowly becoming more scarce.

12. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

you don't need the extra power really, and you thought about a macbook except for the screen size... so why not go refurb? 1449 for a macbook pro 15inch 2.2... Only a few hundred more then a new macbook. If you are still interested in the 17inch, just grab a refurb one of those... they are what 2199 now?

Much better then the edu price! and plenty of power for you.

Just max out the ram yourself (which is obvious anyway because apple ram is uber expensive) and get an external if you need more room. Should be just fine for your needs and you won't need to defraud anyone.

13. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

didn't read rest of posts but

all you do is pick a college
    and thats it.
    go to the discount
    pick random college
    and done

14. lowbuzz thread starter macrumors member

These libelous quotes are pure treachery. How dare you!

I remain, and have always been, a stalwart supporter of Apple and their really cool computers that are so cool and stuff.

15. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I agree that trying to commit fraud is unacceptable; however, as a college student the discount is for anytime you are enrolled. Therefore, you could buy a MBP the last day before graduation and it wouldn't be used for academics. The discount is also because students make up a large percentage of Apple notebook sales, I believe, and students have less disposable income than the average american (excluding their parents income - even with, parents are usually more than happy to supply their kids with notebooks for college, especially at the cheaper price)

16. lowbuzz thread starter macrumors member

The Clintons did NOT kill Vince Foster with a 17" MacBook Pro.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Don't do it. It's a dick move. People like you are the reason that Apple is getting rid of their educational discounts. Then the people who actually need them (you know, the students who are paying $20,000+ a year for education while trying to juggle classes and a minimum wage job) (me) just get screwed. I wish Apple would have more regulation for the education discount (like you actually have to prove it online).

Besides, if you're actually a real graphic designer, you should be able to include it in your business expenses. Do you pirate your copies of Photoshop too?

Ooh, I have an idea. Maybe you should go to school so you can learn what a monopoly is. Then you can also be eligible for an education discount!

18. lowbuzz thread starter macrumors member

19. lowbuzz thread starter macrumors member

C is for Cookie - that's good enough for me.
    Cuz....
    Cookie Cookie Cookie starts with G.
    Ain't nuttin' but a G thang, baby...

20. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

sorry but i had to post something on this.

dude. have you even used the student discount online.

AND IM ASSUMING ALL OF YOU HAVE NOT TRIED USING IT.

WORD TO THE WISE.
    DO NOT GIVE ADVICE ON SOMETHING YOU DO NOT KNOW.
    DONE, DELETE SUBSCRIPTION

21. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Is this even true? What's your source?

And if it is true, does it mean all forms of educational discount will be withdrawn, or just certain types?

In the UK, there are several different routes to choose from.

22. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Crimson,

Apparently, the OP thought posting this thread as a joke was suppose to be funny. Read his EDIT reason. Apparently, the OP doesn't understand this board isn't readily used for jokes and should perhaps buy a better sarcasm meter. :p

23. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

lol opps, didn't see that. Was panicking for a moment there! Girlfriend was planning on getting one next week with her discount...

24. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Lowbuzz your posting is an excellent example of why certain international stereotypes exist.

Just stop, save yourself.

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.