Gaming under Bootcamp, partition size?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Thunderbird8, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Thunderbird8 macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

I've used Boot Camp before, in my 2008 Mac Pro and it worked well.

I've decided to get back into PC-gaming and am looking again into doing this on my late 2013 27" iMac. I've got 8GB Ram and the 4GB Video Card.

Anyway I have a 1TB hard drive about half of which is currently used, leaving me about 500GB free.

Just wondering what you folks would advise on the partition size?

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

As large as possible if you're wanting to play modern AAA titles. Most games are at least 10 GB while some like Just Cause 3 and Wolfenstein: The New Order are over 40 GB each.

3. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

from all the time I've had bootcamp, from my mac mini to my iMac, I've always halved it. 1TB drive in my iMac, 500gb mac 500gb windows. a lot of what you have on your mac side can probably be pushed onto a cheap external drive.

4. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Doesn't really matter when you can use external storage.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

It does if you don't want to carry around external hard drives or clutter up your desk with them.

6. Thunderbird8, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016

Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

That's what I was thinking, and I'd rather avoid that.

I was thinking 200GB. That will leave me over 300GB left in Mac OS and that's considering that all the big files are already on.

EDIT:well it's done, did 200GB. A reasonably straightforward process and Steam is working fine. Thanks for the input guys.

7. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Hi, I'm sorry to use your thread like this but would it be possible to put your Steam library on an external drive? Would it be fast enough for playing games? I am asking because my SSD is only 256 Go and my bootcamp partition can only be 100Go. Thanks

8. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

I made mine 128GB, thinking a lot of laptops have that...but I installed Star Wars Battlefront, now almost no space left for other fun things.
    External harddive would be the best I suppose, and around 200 GB without games installed on there...

9. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

No worries, hope you find the answer you need.

Update, Windows working well and no problems thus far.

10. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I have 60Gb on my internal drive, and then games go on an external FW800 hard disk.

The IO performance is good.

11. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Start with 500 / 500 is good, unless you already know that you will need more space on OSX or Windows side, then of course you may go something like 300/700 to fit your basic needs.

However, I will prefer to store the games on an external drive. If there is anything wrong on the bootcamp partition. I don't have to re-download all the games again. And TBH. The bootcamp partition suddenly disappear / doesn't work is not very uncommon.

My way to do it is to make a partition for Windows (100G or larger is good enough), which will only install the Windows or some must have stuff. Then use WinClone in OSX to store the Windows partition as an image. So that if anything goes wrong, all I need is just recover from the image. All the games and the save will be stored on the external drive (with proper backup if required).