[GAMING] Upgrade RAM vs SSD - mid 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nikkei, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Nikkei macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!
    I'm sorry to ask a known questions*

This is my MAC pro (mid 2010):
    I want to make it better for gaming.
    Therefore I will upgrade the OS X, but that is not enough..
    the questions are:

1 what is best for price/improvement in gaming, to upgrade the RAM or SSD?

2 which SSD (250 sata II) or RAM (8gb) buy (maybe a link?)?

I will trust you completely, so use your power with consideration ;) thanks!

*the SSD guide is sooo old and messy and I did use the search option, and I did check the last days posts before asking this, but I'm sorry anyway..

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To determine if you need a ram upgrade, check out the swap outs in the activity monitor. If your machine is not swapping out, adding ram isn't going to speed up your machine.

SSD upgrades will help, but only disk based operations. In the middle of a game that does not access the disk will still behave as it was pre-upgrade.

The biggest limiting factor to games is your GPU and you cannot change that. Adding ram, and SSD can usually bump up the performance a bit but I'm not sure you'll see a huge improvement on games.

3. leman macrumors 604

You want a honest answer? Get a new computer. No matter what you do to that machine, you won't get better performance in games. It is limited by the GPU. RAM upgrade won't do anything at all and SSD will only improve level loading speed.

4. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

sorry, not really anything you can do in terms of upgrading gaming performance.

5. FuzzyWaffles macrumors newbie

Adding an external GPU will help immensely.

+ you will have the portability of a notebook while have a machine that can play BF3/and so on

There is just very limited guides on it..

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The OP's laptop does not have thunderbolt. So an external GPU is not an option here.