Gaming with 2014 rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anhizer, Oct 16, 2014.

1. anhizer macrumors newbie

I am a windows guy that is thinking about switching over to a macbook pro- probably a retina MBP w/ a 15" screen. I will be using it mostly for photo editing, likely using photoshop (but i may try aperture).
    I also want to be able to use whatever I buy for gaming. Looking into what systems are available, the other system I am considering is the Razer Blade which seems to be a close competitor to the MBP (smaller but similar price/quality). I prefer the MBP, but i have heard some issues when gaming through bootcamp- apparently there is a video card stutter due to an overheat condition? Does this effect the 2014 rMBP systems? (most of the posts i have seen have been for the 2013 models).

Thanks!

2. nudoru macrumors regular

I don't game a lot but i've had no issues with Skyrim in Bootcamp or Portal 2 in OS X. I've got a mid-'14 15" with the dGPU.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Razer makes gaming laptops. This is not a gaming laptop. However, the 750M in Windows is actually pretty decent at 1920x1200. I have no complaints, and it works pretty well for skyrim, etc.

4. anhizer thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the comments- I'm not looking for something that is going to push full res at max details, but I do want it to play games. I still have my couple year old gaming desktop which I'm not getting rid of, but I would like to have the option of gaming on the laptop.

Any one else with experience here?

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

No experience with either (still rocking the 2012 cMBP with the dGPU ... Retina MBP was too new when I bought. I prefer to wait until a new design has had its kinks worked out.)

However, I will point out one difference that I felt was enough to keep me away from the Razer:

The Razer comes with a max 2 year warranty (vs the 3 years you get with AppleCare), that also costs an extra ~$300 for that additional year above the base that it comes with. Add to that the point that you have to mail the system into a depot for all repairs (or have something shipped to you,) both things combined was enough to keep me away.

As a side note: One of the reasons why I prefer MacBooks is because my town has two Apple stores in it. So, it's much more convenient to bring it in for diagnosis to me, than it is to mail it in somewhere for service. YMMV there, however.

6. c0LdFire macrumors regular

The 15" MBP with a dedicated GPU is perfectly capable of casual gaming.

Keep in mind, though, that you'd be buying a less than 1" thick metal box. It's going to get hot during long gaming sessions. Very hot. Hot enough to kill the components given enough time. Invest in a laptop cooler if you're actually going to use this for gaming.

If you're serious about games, save some money and get a 13" MBP and a gaming desktop.