Gaming With Beats

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdhatt, Aug 3, 2010.

1. jdhatt macrumors regular

hi, i just recently purchased a pair of dr dre beats, the studio version, and as some of you may know, they include a black cable with a mic attached to it. i was wondering if there was any way to use this mic on the macbook pro 15" (2010 model) and use it for gaming. i cant seem to find a way to make the mic work, any suggestions? thanks

2. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I don't have the answer, but that's actually a very interesting question... The last two generations of MBP (both unibody designs) have a headphone port that also works as a mic port when used w/ the iPhone headphones (the remote buttons also work)...

I believe the mic on the dr. dre headphones is supposed to work with an iPhone, correct? I'm not sure why it wouldn't work with the uMBP...

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

4. iScorp macrumors newbie

Have you tested if the mic actually works on your desktop?

5. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

i tried using them in bootcamp but the mic wouldnt work, only the headphones. i was playing starcraft 2. i cant even seem to get the built-in mic to work on windows 7 for starcraft 2, but for my friend it was fine on OS X. does anyone have a solution on how to get the mic and the headphones to work through the one headphone jack on OS X? i really dont wanna have to buy a seperate mic or headset for gaming or skyping. thanks!

6. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

that right there sounds like a 7 driver problem. Try skyping someone in OSX with the headphone/mic? If it works, you may be able to narrow down the problem and find the culprit.

7. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

yea ill do that....im assuming it will work because my buddy used it on os x playing the same game and it was fine. does anyone know if the macbook pro 2010 headphones slot is liek the old MBP where you can use like an iphone set of headphones and the mic on them will work? because if tahts the case then the beats are the same thing (mic attached to cable) so they should work, but since there are two ports i dunno if thats the case, does anyone know?

8. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I bought a Razer Carcharias Headset, and was very upset to find out I couldn't use the mic, I have bought an adapter now so that I can, but for MacBook Pros and Mics, just go USB

9. Claerion macrumors member

For mac the mic needs to have power. Thus you need to go with something that is usb. I had the same issue and finally figured it out and went to frys and bought the only usb headset with mic at the time for I believe $85. They are sound blaster and they work great I love them!

So i would just go with something that is usb. I'm not sure if there are adapters for mic to usb seems a bit odd of an adapter.

10. Meever macrumors 6502a

Just a quick heads up, the Starcraft 2 voice chat function is a little broken apparently.

11. Meever macrumors 6502a

If you NEED to spend 2k you could just get the 15". It's not much heavier and it is much more powerful. You do lose an hour or so in battery life but you know do get the discrete card so it's a pretty fair trade I think.

12. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

dunno how this relates but ok.....ummm anyone figure this out yet? its really bothering me