Gaming with External Drive on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geltab, Feb 25, 2009.

1. geltab macrumors member

Hi All, I am going to be receiving my 17" 2.93 Matte pretty soon and had a question about gaming on it using Windows. So, I was thinking of installing Vista so that I could game (I have XP, but have heard that Vista runs games better with Direct X 10). Anyhow, I don't want to waste a bunch of HD space on my computer as I will probably replace my HD with that Intel 160 GB SSD. I currently own a nice speedy eSATA Seagate external. Can I use this in Vista to run games off of or will I have to install them to the internal drive. Also, if I can do this, will this slow the games down since it isn't internal? Not sure of the speed differences between and internal and an external eSATA.

Thanks!

2. juliancs macrumors 6502

I run my games off an external harddrive. runs totally fine. :p

3. xoggyux macrumors 6502

games will run perfectly off the external HDD, in fact (dont know if its possible with boot camp and mac) I have installed (in pcs) operating system on external HHD, as far as the system is concerned it is just another drive (dont know if its true for mac and boot camp. The only thing, games will run as fast as they would in a regular internal drive (e.g. if you are not running the game off an SSD drive, it wont run blasting SSD fast.)
    Short answer: yes you can run games off external drives.