Gaming with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nokitman, Nov 3, 2009.

1. nokitman macrumors newbie

I was playing the demo for Left for Dead 2 on bootcamp (windows 7), and the fans started kicking in and made some noise, also the aluminum started getting warm.
    Is this normal? Is it ok for me to play like this for a extended time?

I have the 15in 2.66 MBP

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

LoL yeah its normal. The fans kick up because the heat ramps up. The heat ramps up because the voltage is higher. The voltage is higher because the gpu is starting to crunch alot of numbers.

Just make sure you have adequate airflow; no pillows or blankets around your MBP during game play. Your machine will turn off before it catches fire thanks to intel's thermal specifications.

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

I like to elevate my MBP a little off the table or surface I leave it on 'just in case'.

4. sfroom macrumors regular

Aluminum conducts heat really well, which is why the Macbook Pro feels so warm. Most PC laptops are probably running at very similar temperatures internally, you just don't feel the heat because plastic is a poor conductor.

You've got nothing to worry about.

5. Heavenly macrumors member

Heavenly

If you're playing a game, the fans will definitely kick in since you're using the video card and/or processor at 100%. Even when I'm playing WoW, the fans usually are around 3.5-4k but I use SMC to go up to 5k because over 80C the game FPS starts to get choppy from overheating. It kinda makes me want to get the thermal goop replaced with AS5 =/