gaming with parallels and bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by plymman, Sep 9, 2010.

1. plymman macrumors member

With some advice from this forum I've now setup vista on a bootcamp partition and have pointed parallels at this installation which all works well. When I boot into vista I have the proper Radeon driver installed and can play games fine on max settings at the highest resolution, however if I try to run a windows game from Parallels in OSX it defaults to the Parallels video driver and 640x480 resolution. Is there any way of running games at full screen/full settings from osx or will I have to reboot into windows each time?

2. Tarek macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, you will have to reboot into Windows every time. Parallels uses only a very small amount of your graphics card's memory, around 128MB if I remember right, which is terrible.

3. plymman thread starter macrumors member

Thats a pain but at least I know thats just the way it is and i havent just buggered up my install!

4. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Parallels has no access to your 3D card, it simply emulates one which is a slow process. Old games may work ok but anything modern and demanding will be bloody awful.

5. aki macrumors 6502a

Well yes and no. You can definitely run games fullscreen under Parallels.

As for performance, that will vary wildly depending on the game and your hardware. I have to say, products like Parallels have come a looooong way. I'm not saying you should be playing Mass Effect or Dragon Age under Parallels; but you can run some fairly modern games and still get reasonable performance (as long as you are interested in teh game and not the graphical glitz - for framerates and antialiasing etc you still have to go bootcamp).

To be honest I don't really use Parallels much for gaming anymore. But it's not true that you can't do, depending on the title. You really have to try and see.