Gaming with rMBP without a superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

New to gaming and rMBP here. I have a copy of Call of duty Modern Warfare (mac) and would like to use it without a dvd/cd drive. Is there a crack or way around this?

How about the other games such as Sims or so, will I eventually need an external optical drive?

Please advise. Thanks.

2. qpiqp macrumors member

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't they offer Cod 4 as a download? If so, the download should be free, you will just need your serial number.

3. playsontheleft macrumors regular

It's possible to get a lot of games legally without a CD via Steam, but at a price. You can find some pretty cheap external optical drives on the internet though - mine cost me only £7 including shipping and it does the job just fine.

4. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

All of the games I've played recently, I was able to download from the vendor.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I could've sworn CoD4 didn't care if the CD was in or not.

In any case, you could just make an image of the disc and load it with daemon tools. Or I think gamecopyworld has "mini" images that look like the real thing to the game, while only being a few kBs large.

Edit:
    Oh you're trying to run it in osx. Even then, I think it should be okay if you rip the disc to an iso and mount the iso.

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Most games are available to download for free from the vendor, and you just have to add your serial number, but CoD4 seems to be an exception.

Either get a temporary external DVD drive and rip it, use another computer's drive wirelessly, or download a torrent of the game and use your actual serial with it instead of a crack.

7. RVspidey macrumors member

i'd just get a torrent version of the game.. no idea if its legal or not, but since you already paid once, i see no problem.

i also do this with movies, buy them off a store, and download through torrent, much quicker than ripping the DVDs.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

9. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Might be able to use the serial to add it to a steam account.

Piracy Discussion is against forum rules.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I havent used a disk for gaming in a couple years now.

11. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I believe OP was talking about MW and not CoD4. If you want CoD4, either get it on Steam or MAS. If you want MW, it's probably on Steam.

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Cod4 is MW...

13. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Oh my bad. Sorry!