Gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by th3goob, Jun 23, 2011.

1. th3goob macrumors regular

I've been trying my heart out to get mw2 on my mac, im not pirating it, i purchased it when it came out for my pc. I tried cxz and cider but neither of them have worked. I have also tried crysis 1,which i bought, and that wont install either. Yes i know macs use .dmg and windows uses .exe im not dumb so dont tell me that. but people have been able to play those games on their macs using cider or cxz.

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I'm not familiar with the programs you are mentioning but generally speaking using Bootcamp is the recommended to run games.

3. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Yep, Boot Camp is the only decent way to run Windows games on a Mac.

Of course there are some Mac ports, but often they are not well optimized and don't perform as well as they do running on Windows.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Bootcamp or Mac App Store (Modern Warfare is in there I believe)

5. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Cider and cxz suck, you will not get tolerable framerates, save yourself the time and just install them in Bootcamp

Modern Warfare (COD4) is in the Mac App Store yes, but he's asking about Modern Warfare 2 (MW2), which is Windows only unfortunately.

6. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

my problem with bootcamp is i only have a windows recovery cd for my pc(it is stock windows no bloatware or anything), would that work or do i need a windows installation cd

7. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

No it will not, you'll need a copy of Windows from a Microsoft disc instead of from the OEM which is what you have. How you go about obtaining that disc is up to you but don't ask for help pirating it here.

8. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

does it require a cd key and if so can i use the 1 from my windows computer, and im not going to pirate it i have a friend with the disks

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I couldn't disagree more. I get awesome frame-rates with Cider! I have found it to be a great technology (WINE) and plays many, many games with awesome results.

I played many 'converted' games before they were officially released and was always impressed with the results.

-P

10. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

That's technically piracy, that CD key is only destined for one computer.

You must have a pretty good video card then, you're guaranteed to get better framerates playing native. I guess I just have a grudge against API layers like Cider, too many bad experiences back in the day.

11. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Some other options for you:

WINE - This is a great project that lets you run Windows Apps and Games under OS X and Linux. I compile my own WINE builds via MacPorts which is super simple. I run many games using WINE and WINEtricks. You can easily read what others have done to make just about any game work very well.

WINE supports DX9 but not 10 or 11. DX10 is being worked on.

CrossOver (based on WINE) - Is based on WINE and they automate many of the config steps for you. I'm pretty technical so I don't use CrossOver but I do think its a very nice application to bridge the gap between Windows and OS X and Linux.

One last suggestion: There is a used bookstore in our city that has not only books but some great older games for Windows that run between $1 to $9. I bought Call of Duty GOTY Edition for $1.12 and MOHAA GOTY Edition for $.99. Both installed and run flawless under WINE for OS X. I even installed the patches and grabbed a NoCD crack.

My point is that there are some great, great games that might be older but still are a heck of a lot fun to play. I had both of these when they came out but I have had a ball playing them again.

I have also found games that I didn't play when they were new (so many come out every year) but are great games for a few bucks.

-P

12. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

I did not know that is piracy, thanks for sharing the information, guess ill have to ask my school for a copy of windows for my mac =/