Gaming?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Greggoryra, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Greggoryra macrumors newbie

Hi everyone I like gaming should I wait for new I Mac or buy retna display laptop. Going crazy here. Thanks

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The top iMac sold today (which happens to still be the 2011 model, if you haven't noticed) outperforms the rMBP in games, particularly if you boost the VRAM to 2GB. The rMBP looks quite pretty, but won't hold up as long as future games are released.

We expect the 2012 iMac, when it's released, to be a beast in games.

3. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

What are u smokin are you going to spent 3000 Dollars for a pro laptop to play games? Buy a PC.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Build your own PC for gaming. If you want a Mac, wait for the new iMac. The new GPUs are nearly twice as fast as the current ones. rMBP would probably be the worst choice imaginable. Don't even think of going there.

5. Nandifix macrumors 6502

yeah if your really serious about gaming then the iMac is your only real choice. Wait until oct!

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I love it when people think you have to want to use Windows to play games.

I mean, c'mon, you do get a bit of a performance boost out of DirectX, but for most of us it's not worth the hassle of the operating system..

7. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

Maybe the OP just wants a machine that can handle casual PC gaming, in which case, the rMBP or top of the line 2011 iMac, would be fine. I don't get all this talk about "buy a PC" or "build a gaming PC," because quite frankly, PCs are much more trouble than they are worth. Also, the OP can be heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, which makes the point of buying a PC solely for gaming pointless. Apple machines can easily handle gaming (albeit not at extreme graphical settings even though that is somewhat not the case with Apple's utilization of Nvidia GPUs) and come with a OS that is a joy to use and excel in productivity.

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

For gaming, you're certainly going to get the most performance with an iMac, so I would recommend waiting for the refresh. You only have about a month to go. Just hang in there.

No need to buy a PC. I love gaming on my iMac. Performs great.