Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmacnooby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
hi i need a mac for school and i waited till the end to get the new ipod.
i will be using it mostly for school but plan on gaiming on it (a lot actually)

so i wanted to know how much of an impact would i have between a mbp 15" i7 with 512mb vram vs mbp17 vs Imac i5 quad core with 1gb vram.

i thought that maybe beacuse the stupidly hughr res of the imac (not complaining) frames woulb be about the same.

any thoughts? thanks a lot.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Honestly, for gaming, both machines are quite mediocre. BootCamp is really the only option if you want really good frames (while the recent graphics update did improve performance a noticeable amount under OS X, I still notice about a 20-25% difference in frames in the favor of Windows 7 on my MBP). Also, depends what games you're looking to play.

Oh, and if someone comes linking the barefeats test of 256 vs 512MB, don't listen to it. He "tests" using ancient, ancient games.

newmacnooby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
i would be playing under windows on whatever machine i choose. i will be playing the witcher, NWN 2, Mass Effect 2, Arcania: Gothic 4, and Fable 3. Mostly RPGs.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
i would be playing under windows on whatever machine i choose. i will be playing the witcher, NWN 2, Mass Effect 2, Arcania: Gothic 4, and Fable 3. Mostly RPGs.

Don't see why you'd have any problems with those games. Though Fable 3 might run like crap once it comes out, but who knows.

newmacnooby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
really? could i play mass effect 2 on any mac i choose at its best?
why do you say fable 3 willl run like crap? even on the imac?

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
really? could i play mass effect 2 on any mac i choose at its best?
why do you say fable 3 willl run like crap? even on the imac?

Don't know about it's best, but pretty close I'd imagine. Well, the iMac's graphics card isn't really that great in the big picture, not bad, but not great. My guess is that Fable 3 wouldn't run at high settings on an iMac (the resolution playing a big role in that), but the system requirements aren't even out yet so I can't truly judge.

newmacnooby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
yeah i know tha res is just beauifull for photography (wich ill be doing a lot) and design but its a kick to the family jewels when it comes to gaming or any form of entertainment for that matter.

but anyone knows how much of an impact between all the macs listed?

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
The iMac will offer better performance, but neither will allow you to run newer games (mass effect, fable 3...) at high settings. If you're running windows anyway, consider this:

Mac mini or 13" MB + nice 21-27" display + cheap gaming PC

You're going to get much better gaming performance, still have the mac advantage for everyday use and get a nice big display all for a similar price to the iMac.

newmacnooby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
The iMac will offer better performance, but neither will allow you to run newer games (mass effect, fable 3...) at high settings. If you're running windows anyway, consider this:

Mac mini or 13" MB + nice 21-27" display + cheap gaming PC

You're going to get much better gaming performance, still have the mac advantage for everyday use and get a nice big display all for a similar price to the iMac.

Thanks but that is def not an aption. ill be using mi imac intensively for college and i dont think a macmini can handle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.