Gamut on 17" compared to the 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Jan 7, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Okay, So I'm on my 2nd MBP replacement, awaiting the 3rd replacement due to the screen bleed. Apple said that if the upcoming Mac is defective I can get another replacement, or a refund. With the release of the new 17", I'm kinda thinking about wether or not to upgrade to that, should the upcoming replacement have problems ( if it is perfect I'm not going to bother).

My question is, and it is probably stupid, but it says 60% more Gamut compared to previous generations. Is this relating to previous 17" MBP, or the new 15" MBP, so basically, is the 17" screen more vibrant than the 15" screen.

IF i do decide to upgrade due to the 3rd replacement being defective, do you think apple will offer me any' special' discount on top of the student discount ( this means it will cost me just under £500 ish more to upgrade ), due to the inconvenience.

... bottom line, is it worth paying at least £450+ for the features ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

NStocks

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Previous notebook gamut seem to fall betwen 45-50%. No special discount...you cant get student discount plus another discount it has to be one of the other. As for whether it is worth it....only you can make that decision. `for me personally...too overpriced. For £450 you can do a lot of stuff like buying a proper external display

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Is this on the new MBP 15" or the old MBP 17" ?

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Good question i would think both

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

So that means thatit isn't that much different to the new 15" right:confused:.

I know what you mean...It's over priced but I will be going to Uni in september, and I think the battery could be useful likewise would the resolution. tbh I don't think I would be carrying it around that often either so weight isn't a issue but I could just buy another battery for the 15" and get 10 hours ! for an extra £97. ( although 8 hours is fantastic from 1 battery )

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

No doubt its a better panel overall e.g. 700:1 contrast ratio as opposed to 500:1 on the 15, then the resolution, then the gamut, brightness etc. But £450 better?...for me not so much but i guess that 450 pays for the 'supposedly' 8 hr battery life no one has done real world tests yet so we dont have verification.

If these are worth it to you then by all means go for it

7. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

When you put it like that, I don't think in reality it's worth £450+ just for 3hrs more battery and a better screen... just so annoying that they didn't put at least one if these technologies in the 15", but that's technology for you!

Wel'l just have to see what the upcoming replacement brings in terms if the screen quality, my last screen was perfect (84), but now I understand that everyone is getting 85 panels... Any improvements or perfect ones out yet ?( doesn't / hasn't apple realized there bad screens, would this issue only be addressed In a few months rev. B)

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Cant say about that one....im no longer a Unibody owner...went back to a MBP Classic but i'd still guess its a lottery as always

9. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

10. dogg macrumors regular

dogg

Did you ask the Genius to order an 84 screen? Is this possible?
    I like you have received a replacement screen due to "spotlighting", but surprise surprise it was an 85 so the problem still exists. There is an MBP with an 84 screen at my Apple Store and you can clearly see the difference. My store also cracked the black plastic cover that runs horizontally underneath the screen and put one of the screws for the underside casing in the wrong place, so the battery cover was not flush. Hangover maybe?!!!

11. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

This is off topic but...

I just recived to email from UKCONSUMER, the people who send incovces from apple. It says that £58 ish is going to be refunded into my bank account for the iPod touch which I order ( rebates taken off ), and £1200 ish is going to be refunded to me by cheque which is for the MBP:confused:.

I have no idea what this is for, so I called customer services and they said that I'm due a replacement but they are unable to give my ANY info about delivery, and know nothing about the refunds.

I really don't know what to do, I have sent a waiver off to apple with my card details so that they can send me the replacement, before I send them back the defective MBP to avoid inconvenienve on my side, but I've no idea why they are refunding me all my money.

Any siggestions ?

NStocks