Gang Violence text message hoax

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cuestakid, Mar 19, 2009.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29777729/

This is kinda scary. Does anyone know how different cell phone carriers share the spectrum? Is each provider given a specific range or are they all simply lumped in one gigantic space. I ask because I am curious as to how a message like this could be sent out to people using different carriers, not to mention nationwide.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Sounds like the text message was propagated, not unlike a virus, by many people. Think of it like a chain email.

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Holy cow! My sister in law who is in college came over to have dinner with us tonight and she got this text while we were sitting there. How funny is that!

4. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I'm in Louisiana. I received it yesterday. Today, one of the girls with me received it while sitting on a sidewalk. Another girl said she received that message yesterday, too.

5. Done-on-a-Mac macrumors member

We got that here in Nacogdoches, Tx. I was with a group & by midnight it said it was going to last 4 days at random Wal-Mart stores in the area. :rolleyes:

6. alFR macrumors 68020

The only scary thing is that people are stupid enough to pass these hoax messages on.

7. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I am currently taking a course on network security and we briefly talked about cell phone attacks. Now that I have actually heard about one, I am curious about what networks were infected and if it only women got the message.

8. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

That's messed up because gang violence is no laughing matter.