Gap Between bezel and side of iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by matthewjohns, Jan 31, 2011.

1. matthewjohns macrumors newbie

Hey.

Today, i noticed that i have a few gaps around the edges of my iPhone 4's bezel. a couple on front and back, the whole thing does not show gaps. I don't really think this is a problem, but is anyone else experiencing this?

My problem is much less severe than the picture below shows, my gap is about as big as the smallest gap on the picture is. Follow your eyes down the phone until you cannot see a gap. Follow your eyes back ujp the phone, and when you can see a gap again, that is the size of my gap.

This picture belongs to Ars Technica Open Forum.

Attached Files:

• gap1.jpg
      gap1.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
  2. matthewjohns thread starter macrumors newbie

My gaps are actually about the size of halfway up the gap on that picture

3. matthewjohns thread starter macrumors newbie

4. l3l2lzzl3 macrumors newbie

:eek:

I don't see any gaps on my iPhone 4. I think theres something wrong there. Did you get it like this out of the box? You might want to get this checked out for repair or replacement.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

The area is also scratched up. Looks like it was dropped.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If it bothers you, why don't you have Apple replace it. If it doesn't, just use it.:rolleyes:

7. matthewjohns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for your replies. The few gaps are not noticeable, and are sometimes hard for me to find where the slight gaps are, even when i am looking! My phone came like this. I don't think i will return it, i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. My uncle also did.

(the gaps on ym phone are way smaller than the image.)

Look all of the way down the gap and just as it ends, those are the size of my gaps. I have never dropped my phone.

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Perfectly normal. The iPhone 4 is designed to be much, much easier to service than the other versions (hence the easy-as-heck-to-remove back). This is a consequence of this design; the seams that make this ease of access possible are also weak points. Don't worry about it.

If it does bother you and you use cleaning fluid that could go under there and cause water damage, go to an Apple Store nearby and get it fixed (If it's the front, most likely they'll replace the entire phone, otherwise they will only replace the back.)

If this happened to the back of the phone, there is a DIY fix to it. Unscrew the bottom while the phone is off and SILENCED. Push up and take the back off. If it's minor, bend the bezel back into shape. If not, you could order a custom back like I did, or put it back and send it in to the store. This method is NOT RECOMMENDED for the front, because it's much harder to pull off the screen than the back and to replace a screen itself, it costs $170.

Attached Files:

9. matthewjohns, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

matthewjohns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou so much for your reply.

So just for confirmation, the small gaps on the back and front of my phone are perfectly normal??

Thanks again

10. matthewjohns thread starter macrumors newbie

if i took it into apple though and my problem was normal, wouldn't i just get a phone that had exactly the same gap issue?

11. matthewjohns thread starter macrumors newbie

by cleaning fluid, you mean something that i would use to clean my phone that could get into the gaps?

12. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Where did you buy it? If you bought it from Apple then they will replace it without question. If you didn't, you probably don't have a warranty on it and you could've bought a used one.
    If this was bought from Apple and it came scratched and bent, it's not normal.
    If you bought it elsewhere, it's normal.
    If you bought it from the Apple Refurb Store it's rare that they allow defective products out but probably possible.

Also, there is no probable way that a drop can cause such a gap. My bezel is dented where it was dropped, not raised and scratched. Probably you tried to pry it open or it was a manufacturing defect.

Fluids like iKlear and Liquid Gold are screen cleaners. Like a polish fluid. You rub it on your screen with microfiber cloth and it gets the gunk off.

13. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you took it into apple and it was normal, why do think that Apple would give you a new one.

You are wasting your time getting "internet opinions" on something like this, because, in the end, Apple has the final say. The rest is sheer speculation!
    This isn't rocket science! If it bothers you, return it, if it doesn't, just use it.

14. matthewjohns thread starter macrumors newbie

I got my phone originally from telstra, but took it into apple and got a refurb when it was faulty. As i have stated, my bezel is not like the one in the picture. It is not scratched, and is only shows gaps that are the size of the smallest visible gap (follow your eyes down the gap) of the picture. I don't think i will worry about it now, knowing that it is normal.

If my bezel just had very small gaps in it, but was not dented,warped or scratched in anyway, would it be perfectly normal? (these gaps are barely noticeable.)

15. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Since you got a refurb, you may have an Apple warranty on it. Take it to an Apple store and complain about it and eventually they'll push you out with a new phone if all goes well.

16. matthewjohns thread starter macrumors newbie

I am very happy with my phone and have decided not to take it back to apple :) Seeing as my bezel is in pristine condition, i was just wondering if the minute gaps are normal?

17. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

the phone would have the same warranty regardless of where he got it. even if he bought it from his neighbor. that is the good thing about apple! since he took his original back to apple and got a replacement the warranty on his original phone is transferred to his replacement. so yes it is still under warranty unless it has since been water damaged or something else happened to it.

18. matthewjohns thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone else experienced these gaps on their iphone 4's? :)

19. matthewjohns thread starter macrumors newbie

20. jb86, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

jb86 macrumors newbie

I have the gap between the front glass on top of the phone.
    Has anyone been able to replace theirs?
    My warranty is up July 4th so I debating taking it in.

update: took it in to a genius bar appointment today, got a new/refurb one

21. fn6019 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what material the black bezel around the screen is made from?