Gap between screen and black bezel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sallythemac, Jul 20, 2008.

1. sallythemac Guest

I got a replacement iPhone yesterday due to dust under the screen of my original. The new one is dustless, but has something that looks a little odd to me.

1) There is a border of the lcd that is inactive - it doesn't light up when switched on. I don't remember my original having that, or am i dreaming?

2) This border seems to be uneven. One side it is less than 1mm, the other it is 2mm. And all there is a bigger gap at the top than the bottom.

See the pictures i have attached.

It is most noticeable when using the iPhone in natural light. It doesn't really effect the operation of the phone, i just wondered if i have ended up with another sub-par iPhone?

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. umop apisdn macrumors member

umop apisdn

Same as mine.. can only really be seen in natural light too.

iPods have this too with a little bit of 'tilt'

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

There has always been a gap of blank screen around every iPhone. Been discussed many times.

4. sallythemac thread starter Guest

Apologies, but i did search before posting.

5. knome macrumors 6502

knome

Mines got it i figured it was designed that way because most people hold the phone in their right hand.

6. sallythemac thread starter Guest

The bigger gap on the left?

Oh and i hold my phone in my left hand, maybe that's why i have noticed it, lol.

7. knome macrumors 6502

knome

Yea the screen isn't centered in the bezel. At the bottom right corner there is no gap at all and the upper left there is like a 2mm gap. Not that big of a deal to me at least.

8. glanv macrumors regular

Hi sallythemac

I noticed that my iPhone has a gap between the glass and the bezel and one can see light escaping in this gap. I am concerned that dust will get in here - is this what was wrong with your first one?

How did you get it replaced? I'm not sure if I call CPW, O2 or Apple.

Any info you can provide would be much appreciated!

Cheers

9. Juo100 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Everyone has it, it's very noticable in direct sunlight.

10. Jowl macrumors 6502

Yep, I only noticed it yesterday in strong sunlight (we dont get much in Blighty :D ).

11. Incindium macrumors member

Ha I just noticed this today while out at the park looking at my phone in full sunlight. It really has my OCD flaring up. Arggg and I've really been trying to not get all crazy about my new phone. Its just a phone/portable computer and it's not worth stressing over stupid stuff....

12. svndmvn Guest

[​IMG]
    every iphone has it, even my mac has it.
    It's, I believe, what makes you see all the screen from different angles, since you're looking at the glass, and the screen is a bit lower than that.

13. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

as mentioned every iPhone has this "gap"... it's due to the fact that the LCD screen does not fill the entire opening... now having had numerous replacements I must say I have only had 1 (my most recent) that was actually centered in the opening.... most of the ones I've seen are pushed to the right hand side of hte phone... and have a bigger gap on the left hand side... but perfectly normal

14. Incindium macrumors member

Yeah its not the gap that bugs me but that its larger on the left side than the right. That said it does make me feel better that is normal. Now I just need to get my brain stop noticing it every time I pick my phone up.

15. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Its normal. Every iPhone has it. How ever it should NOT be crooked.

16. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

It shouldn't be crooked but like I mentioned... it will most likely not be centered in the opening properly.... Apple will not replace your iPhone because the screen is not centered (unless for some bizarre reason a portion of the screen is for far to one side that a portion is cut off)

17. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Mine is perfectly straight.
    [​IMG]

I had the screen on full bright with a flashlight app on so the screen was fully white.

The composite image above just shows the top left and bottom right corners. You can see the pixels going all the way to the edge. Some pixels are lost under the rounded corners.

I wonder if the "unused" pixels are counted as part of the 640x320.

18. daonesteven macrumors 6502

sometimes i wonder how amazing it is some of you guys can notice things like this

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Extreme cases of OCD? :)

20. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

It doesn't surprise me that people notice, I noticed it... It just amazes me that people care.

21. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It could also look off centered because of a shadow being cast. I noticed this one day on my iPod touch while using it in the sun. I thought the screen was off center, then I rotated it a little bit and saw that it changed as I moved it around... I found out that I was looking at a shadow that was blending into the black.

23. dagomike macrumors 65816

I'd guess the reason there's a margin is so that the viewable display is always viewable. If there wasn't a margin, the fab tolerance would be such that pixels would be hidden.

Imagine the freakout then!

Kind of funny what appears to be a good design still puts people in knots. :)