Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parabola117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2016
Hi.

Listenig to a mixed compilation album on my A1099 4G iPod classic, I noticed there is a small silent gap in-between each track.

How do I make it ''gapless again!?

I recently changed the broken hard drive to a Compact Flash card. Not sure that would affect anything though?

Thanks

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Maybe the hard drive had more built-in cache that was able to load the next track more seamless than the flash memory?

caseyfriday

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
SAT
I thought the 5th generation was the first model to support gapless playback, unless you used something like Rockbox? Did you have gapless on your 4th before switching to CF for sure?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I thought the 5th generation was the first model to support gapless playback, unless you used something like Rockbox? Did you have gapless on your 4th before switching to CF for sure?
This.

The 5th gen was the first iPod that got gapless playback through firmware update.
Anything previous to that unfortunately does not have gapless playback, unless one resorts to alternative firmware like rockbox.

parabola117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2016
Ahh - That's probably it. I don't specifically remember that iPod originally having gapless playback (It's been sat in a drawer for years, broken). I just assumed it would have had, like all my later iPods.

Shame, I was really looking forward to putting a 128GB Compact Flash card in, and using as my 'main' iPod.
Most of the stuff I listen to is mix albums/electronic stuff, so the gaps really drive me mad.

I guess I could try Rockbox or something. Really like the 'Standard' look of the iPod as it is though.
I wonder if there's a 'Standard' skin to use....

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
The lack of hapless playback is one of the only downsides to using these older iPods on a daily basis. Still, it doesn't stop me from using my 32GB CF mini as my daily iPod! The kids that I teach (9th graders) are amazed that I listen to music on something nearly as old as they are. Some of them have never even seen a click wheel iPod before :(

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
My iPod mini 256GB isn't gapless either. There are a few concept albums that I have joined the tracks together and the whole album is just one track, and no gaps. i.e. a lot of Pink Floyd albums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.