Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Downtown Miami
I've heard that the iPhone supports gapless playback but it seems I've never been able to get it to work on my iPhone. I have alot of DJ mixes and mix albums so it really sucks hearing that skip. I put the audio files into itunes and check the gapless album option but when I listen to the songs it wont necessarily have a gap but it feels like it cuts out a split second of audio between the two tracks so it sounds like it jumps forward a split second. I've heard of LAME format but is this the only way to get true gapless playback?

The only other way I got it to work was ripping the songs directly from a CD in itunes, that worked perfectly but the quality was horrible. Can someone help me or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Itunes should do it automatically. I bought three CDs from Itunes yesterday that had several songs that are gapless and they played through flawlessly.

I did have a huge problem with gapless on my 160GB Classic iPod when I purchased the Complete Led Zeppelin. Several of the CDs would not playback using gapless and so Apple gave me a complete refund.

I'm not sure why, but sometimes it just don't work.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Gapless playback is a bit hit and miss I find. All my albums play back gapless but some albums work better than others. I suspect the original poster has noticed it because, like me, lots of his collection is dance music. As a DJ he'll be very used to counting BPMs precisely and if the gapless playback is off even by a nano-second it will be obvious in a fast 4/4 beat.

I've just learned to live with it, unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.