Garage as Office?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bbadalucco, Sep 27, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

So I’m moving into a new apartment and will live there for nine months. It’s smaller than my current place and so was thinking I’d like to make the last 13’ of my garage my office. The garage is 32’x 13’ and would like to use the final 13’x13’ for an office. The garage has all insulated walls, except for the garage door. I was thinking of separating the “man cave” from the rest of the garage with a drape. All the walls are finished as well and I plan on laying down some cheap carpet in the area I’d like to use as my office. My only concern is my computer, will the temps effect it in any way? I have a heater and will most likely either use a fan or a portable AC unit during the summer.

Temps in my neck of the woods range from -10f to 100f.

Just curious as to your thoughts?

2. frimple macrumors 6502

As a rule of thumb, if you can stand to work in there so can your computer ;)

You could also read that as, if you wouldn't be comfortable sitting in there all day neither will your system.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

FWIW, I live in NY and my 2 car garage rarely falls below 50º, according to the temp gauge in my car. A little space heater should do the trick.

4. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Put the computer (and all power cables/extension cords) on top of a desk, don't point the space heater directly at it, and make sure nothing gets wet, and I'd say you'll be fine.

5. Bartman01 macrumors regular

At both the high and low end of the temp range, the garage will be untenable w/o climate control and and insulated/sealed garage door. Everyone seems to be responding with the lower end in mind, but being in a hot climate I am more worried about the high end of your range. Keep in mind that your equipment will put out a lot of heat on it's own, so if you start with an uncomfortably warm room it will only get hotter w/o help.

6. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

I was looking at a portable AC unit for the summer...you can pick a 10,000BTU unit up for $300.

I have no experience with one however but was hoping that would work.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You should consider putting up a false wall and trying to maintain the temp in your man cave. I would be conserned about humidty in the form of damp. Carpet on a concrete floor would be a bad idea too.