Garage Band downloads

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scubaj, Sep 18, 2007.

1. scubaj macrumors member

Okay, so the new MBP is here and I am lovin it so far. A breeze to set up and the "just works" mentailty seems to be holding up for the MBP much better than the ipod.

I do have a question though about Garage Band. I am trying to use some of the pre-set tracks in making a new set, and the app says it has to download them through Software Update. When I click on the download now option though, SU comes up, checks and says everything is current. So I try it again in GB and it says the su is currently downloading. So..I leave it set for a few hours, then come back and restart thinking that should be plenty of time to download (yes I have high speed) all the track selections.

Still no go...what am I doing wrong?

2. sdonohoo macrumors newbie

I just switched to a new imac and had the same problem. Several attempts to download that got nothing. It turned out the software instrument loops are on the DVDs that came with the mac. I don't have it front of me and can't recall the steps but I think you can get Garageband to "download"/import from the DVDs.

3. scubaj thread starter macrumors member

4. Integer macrumors newbie

Same problem here

I had exactly the same problem as the OP. Brand new iMac with Garageband '08 preinstalled. Trying to click on loops brings up a list of options: install them with software update or from the DVD.

Using software update, nothing happens - software update says that all the software is up-to-date, and nothing downloads. Choosing the DVD option, the installer pops up and says that it requires Garageband 4 or later...but the version I had was 4.1!

The only solution I found was go back to the iMac's installation disks and completely reinstall Garageband 4.0. The loops are present, but now software update won't download the 4.1 update, because it thinks that I've got 4.1 already. Sigh.

5. bov macrumors 6502

i have the same problem, but without the installation discs in front of me... and i probably wont have them for another 3 weeks. anyone have any ideas of how i can get garageband loops so i can start makin some music?!?!

im desperate here!