garage band vs. logic express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blueicedj, Jul 25, 2007.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I've never really used a mac, but would like to have one. I was wondering what the differences are in these two programs (whether they are worth $300, $150 with my student discount)...Anways, I want to be able to record instruments, like trumpet, piano, and guitar. Any thoughts on this?

2. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

If you've never used a Mac, you might have a hard time with Logic Express.
    Garageband comes free with a Mac, and you can record instruments with it. I say you should familiarize yourself with OSX and Garageband, then move onto Logic Express if you need to.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If you buy a mac new, garage band comes preinstalled as part as iLife. It can do recordings of anything you want.

Logic is more in depth and adds more features basically so you have to buy it separately.

If you're just doing this for fun, personally I'd just use Garageband.

4. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i just recently made the switch from pc to mac and had to switch recording software. i was using sonar 6 which i loved, but unfortunately, its pc only. i have been using logic express for two weeks now and while i'm still figuring stuff out with it, its not a terribly hard program to use. i'd say don't waste your time with garageband; its just too limited, at least for the stuff i do. however, one benefit of using garageband is that if you do decide to upgrade to logic later, you can still open all your old projects in logic.

while its not technically legal, you can always download a torrent of logic and decide whether or not its worth the money. ;)

5. Frisco macrumors 68020

Too bad Logic Express Trial version isn't yet available for Intel Macs.

6. tinydragon123 macrumors member

Wow, I didn't even that exists! I just thought Aperture is the only one. Do you know any other professional Apple software trials so I can try them out?

7. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I've never used Logic Express, but I use ProTools LE and it's simple and easy to use. It came with my Mbox2. And I added some Yamaha studio monitors for a killer setup.

8. L3X macrumors 6502a

I use Pro Tools LE for semi-pro recording. My brother uses Pro Tools and Logic Pro for pro recording.

I'll prob. get Logic Pro when 8 is released. If you're just doing stuff for fun, GarageBand is fine, if you want to do anything semi-pro, get Logic Express.

9. JustGotPaid macrumors newbie

Since this thread started a lot of improvements have been made with both programs. I'm fairly new to iMac, but now have the 09 version of GarageBand and also Logic Express. I am very impressed with both. Until this, I had a lot of frustrations with computers, recording software, and compatibility. I haven't had any of that with GB and Logic. I am converting more and more to Apple and love it. GarageBand is the best entry level program I have found, and the 09 version is so good I believe it will do anything the average home studio person could want. If not....there's Logic!

Thanks Apple.

DS

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Actually, there's a "third way" - that is, a program that offers more utility and function than GarageBand, but is far, FAR easier to learn and use than is Logic Express (or full version).

That would be Cubase Essentials - $100.

Cubase runs circles around Logic when it comes to editing functions (moving, copying, processing audio). No comparison.

11. platypus63 macrumors regular

If you are just starting out recording, Garageband will be more than sufficient. It has 24bit recording capability, can handle tons of real instruments and has plug in support. I actually used to use Logic Express 8 and switched over to Garageband 08. I think the smartest way to spend the $300 would be on a good microphone or a latency-free firewire interface for the microphones.

12. bradenjobson macrumors newbie

Buy Logic. Make the investment and have a better product.

13. platypus63 macrumors regular

Wow, totally didn't realize original post was almost 3 years ago.