Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the new Garageband '08 for my iMac G4 700Mhz 640MB RAM. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience running the new Garageband on similar specs? According to Apple it should work, but I'd be interested in hearing user experiences. :)

Thanks. :)

Erlend

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I used GarageBand 2 on a 667MHz TiBook a few years ago. It wasn't the fastest of machines, but it worked pretty well. It choked when I tried to play more than 6 or so tracks at once.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Hmm.. nice to know.. So, either Garageband '08 is more optimized than Garageband 2, or it is more resource hungry. ;D

GB doesn't have any freeze-track features, no? Is it possible to bounce two or more tracks together to a stereo track?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
GB doesn't have any freeze-track features, no? Is it possible to bounce two or more tracks together to a stereo track?

I think you are describing the lock tracks feature in Garageband. Click the lock button, and they will play back better :)

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 580

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the new Garageband '08 for my iMac G4 700Mhz 640MB RAM. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience running the new Garageband on similar specs? According to Apple it should work, but I'd be interested in hearing user experiences. :)

Thanks. :)

Erlend

Sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd stick with an older version of Garageband/iLife. A 700 mHz machine won't be able to take advantage of any modern features of iLife 08, so what's the point?

Poff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd stick with an older version of Garageband/iLife. A 700 mHz machine won't be able to take advantage of any modern features of iLife 08, so what's the point?

I'll really only need GB and iPhoto, and mayybe iMovie. I guess iMovie 3 is better for my comp than iMovie 6, though.. iPhoto has become faster and faster for each new version, but this version might be different.. I'd really like to have Events, though. I have a library of soon-to-be 5000 pictures, and finding stuff is hard..

The first GarageBand was way too slow on a 700MHz G4. The second one was better, so I'm sort of hoping '08 will work even better.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I'll really only need GB and iPhoto, and mayybe iMovie. I guess iMovie 3 is better for my comp than iMovie 6, though.. iPhoto has become faster and faster for each new version, but this version might be different.. I'd really like to have Events, though. I have a library of soon-to-be 5000 pictures, and finding stuff is hard..

The first GarageBand was way too slow on a 700MHz G4. The second one was better, so I'm sort of hoping '08 will work even better.

I understand your thought process on the software is more efficient so it might work better on an older machine. And hey, prove me wrong. But I am just saying if you don't have to spend the money, perhaps put it towards a new machine? I dunno, just giving you my approach to such a problem.

I have problems finding pics in my iPhoto too sometime, and I started using the keywords feature. It's helpful. But do note that I have an iBook 1.33gHz w/1.5 gb RAM and iPhoto tends to chug on me. I had trouble with GB as well when applying filters. If you're just looking for a sound recording program (for quick demos) I can recommend SoundStudio.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
I understand your thought process on the software is more efficient so it might work better on an older machine. And hey, prove me wrong. But I am just saying if you don't have to spend the money, perhaps put it towards a new machine? I dunno, just giving you my approach to such a problem.

I have problems finding pics in my iPhoto too sometime, and I started using the keywords feature. It's helpful. But do note that I have an iBook 1.33gHz w/1.5 gb RAM and iPhoto tends to chug on me. I had trouble with GB as well when applying filters. If you're just looking for a sound recording program (for quick demos) I can recommend SoundStudio.

I'm currently using a friends spare lisence of Traction 2, which I really like. But I'll have to give it back, so I'm thinking I might look into Garageband rather than Traction 3, because of the crappy drums you get for free. :) I had a look at SoundStudio, but it seems to simple for me. Too Audacity-like.

Which version of iPhoto are you using? Going from iPhoto 3 to iPhoto 6 was a dream. It was extremely fast. No more beachball of death ever! I can scroll through the <4697 pictures without my computer chugging at all. I've just installed iPhoto, though. I'm thinking I might jump right on the new Garageband.

I tried the keywords-feature, but I'm not going to sit down and index every picture. I've indexed a couple hundred, before I got bored. The ultimate feature in iPhoto would be face-recognizion and automatic name-indexing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.