GarageBand 08 Recording and Output Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macman7002, May 31, 2010.

1. macman7002 macrumors regular

Hey, I have a couple questions regarding GarageBand 08 and recording with it.

1) Is it possible to connect a vocal mic to GarageBand, put an effect on that, and have a live output of the signal coming from the mic with the effect on it without having to record the audio first?

2) I have a Yamaha keyboard that has a MIDI and 1/4" jack output on. I am interested in connecting the keyboard to my Mac for use in recording. Would it be possible to run the audio signal from the 1/4" jack to the 1/8" jack on my Mac and record the audio in GarageBand and be able to apply effects to that track (i.e. synthesizers)?

Thank you very much!!

2. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

1) Yes, you just need to have the vocal track selected and turn on monitoring so you can hear whatever is going into it. Then whatever effects you apply will be heard in as close to real-time as possible (you might want to set the preferences in the Audio/Midi tab to minimum/small buffer for live situations...)

2) Yes. Assuming the Yamaha keyboard has on-board sounds (i.e. isn't just a pure MIDI controller) what you're talking about would require an analogue 'real instrument' track similar to your vocal track, in that you'd be applying effects to audio going into the mac. You'd just need the right cable. This wouldn't give you MIDI data though, it'd just be recording the sound you'd hear as an audio track.

3. macman7002 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated!