Garageband '08: Software Instruments?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Klisk, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Klisk macrumors member

I have the new Garageband on my iMac, and I like the fact that you can finally export in mp3! It also seems to just function better as a program in general...

But compared to the older '06 version I have on my macbook, there seems to be a major lacking of software instruments in the '08 version. My '06 version simply came with a lot more instruments. Can anyone tell me what's up with that? It's a bit confusing as to why they'd just yank out instruments for no reason...

Also if I upgrade my macbook, will I lose the '06 instruments?

Thanks. :)

2. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

I was just about to run to the store to buy iLife '08 (okay, not literally), but if there are less instruments in GB that's a major bummer.

Can anyone confirm this?

3. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

:eek:.....could you list what's missing? damn, i was looking forward to upgrade..

4. Klisk thread starter macrumors member

A lot! It's really frustrating me since while the new iMac is sexy, and I'd like to do some recording with it, I'm totally sticking to my macbook right now just for the extra instruments and whatnot.

Anyways, I don't have a total list of what's missing, but I can totally name a few examples:
    Drums - You only get the Rock Kit, and the Hip Hop kit in '08. That is it, nothing else. This frustrates me the MOST because Garageband is primarily what I use as my 'percussion suite' due to the fact that I play 'real' instruments for everything else in the type of music I make..

Guitar - You only get one. The nylon/classical guitar, or which ever one it was... But that's it. Just one.

Bass - Not sure if this was cut down since I haven't compared side-by-side but it looks like a FEW of the basses were slashed out, leaving only about 5. Fortunately they left the sub-woofer one, which I always thought was useful for overdubbing with my real bass guitar, but I still miss the options.

I haven't gone into all the synths/pads/etc, but the list in general just looks a lot smaller and it's bothering me. I wanted to upgrade my macbook too (mostly for the mp3 exporting, I'll admit...) But the lack of instruments really is a dealbreaker!

I mean, I understand that Apple wants to sell Jampacks, but I'm one of those people who just can't afford it, y'know? As I said, I primarily use Garageband for drums, so having just 2 kits compared to the 6 in '06 is really disappointing. I believe they also removed some categories like woodwinds and soundeffects entirely, but don't take my word for it. (I haven't had a chance to check side-by-side, like I said.)

I'll probably do a more in-depth comparison later (or even screenshots if you want), and I'll also check the loops... Because I haven't even tried any loops in 08 yet, and I have a gut feeling those might have some missing now too. :(

5. rick98761 macrumors 6502

I upgraded from 06 and have all the same insturments. Just FYI

6. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Yea I think something went wrong with your installation.

I have:
    9 basses
    6 drum kits
    6 guitars
    5 horns
    3 mallets
    5 organs
    8 pianos/keyboards
    4 strings
    10 synth basics
    9 synth leads
    12 synth pads
    39 synth textures
    4 woodwinds

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Do some digging

i had to move my instruments and the sampler files to my USER>Library>app support>G Band location.

It's either gonna be in your HD>Library>app support......or your USER>Library>App Support.....

the instruments are all in two folder, one for the exs files, and one for the actual .aiff files.

Just look around for where they are, and move em

might work.

worked fer me

8. dataset macrumors member

La Mirada, California, United States Of America
    I have the same problem. I got my iLife preintalled with the new iMac and when I went to use garageband, it requires you to get all the loops from a DVD (Doesn't specify what dvd...) or download. I'm downloading them right now to see if I get the instruments with the loops.

9. benben macrumors newbie

i was just suffering from this same problem!

if you bring up the loops pane in garageband then try to click on one of the loops, it prompts you to install them. this installs all of the software instruments too.

choose to install from CD, and it will prompt you to insert Mac OSX Install Disk 2.

it seems they aren't loading all of the content on new macs to save disk space for those who wont be using garageband!

hope this helps!

10. Fraustiii macrumors newbie

I dont have ANY software instrumets??!!!?!?!?

This sucks. I have a much worse problem though. I don't have any software instruments!!! And i don't know at all how to install the disk. I don't even think i have the disk!!!

11. HelpMehPlaize macrumors newbie

freeware mac stuff

just some stuff i found, hoping to find some garageband plugins. If you guys find some more, please post them I want to find a synth with voices I think I have it but not sure anyway it doesnt hurt to have more instruments to play around with, if you guys find some more stuff please please post them.....

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/software.php/id/7044/audio/GarageBand-utils/

12. jackerin macrumors 6502a

You think you have "it"..? Is there only one softsynth? And what do you mean by "with voices"? Presets?

Anyway, just google for audiounit softsynth.

13. Jack Napier macrumors newbie

Software Instruments

I just tried this and it worked! I was trying all kinds of different stuff before this solution. Thanks quigleybc!

14. slought1 macrumors newbie

Instruments

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

I've copied all the instruments into the file SOFTWARE. It was in...
    Library>App Support>Garageband>Instrument Library>Track Settings>Software.

Was this the right place because it's not working :-(

I had all the instruments on my macbook... but now have a macbook bro and there are only a couple on GB which I assume just usually come with it. All the things I need like guitars, strings, drums, brass and wind aren't on there.

Can anyone help me????????
    please email me.... loughton_sb@yahoo.com.au

15. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Did you follow the instructions for looking for the .exs and .aiff files, and moving them to Users>Library>App Support>GarageBand or G Band as it was up there?

Do you see any other files in the location where you moved these instrument files?

you can search for .exs and see where the instruments you currently have in garage band are located, then move your other sound files to that location.

16. slought1 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I moved all those .aiff files to that spot. I searched for .exs files but nothing came up. I don't know what that means.

17. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

.exs are the sound files for the instruments. Not sure why they aren't coming up. When I get home tonight I'll look for where mine are and post the location.

18. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

found them in

(your hard drive)/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments

Also a folder there called "Sampler Files" that has the .aif sampled sounds in it.

Have this link about adding new sounds as well...it's kind of old, but I've used it several times throughout the years and it appears to work still.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/garageband/garageband_samples.html

Hope it helps...