GarageBand '11 vs. Jam Packs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Meldar, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

Ookkayy...

So I just installed iLife '11 and had no issues with that.

When I launched GarageBand after install, it briefly (during the initializing progress bar) said "Scanning for Jam Packs."

Upon starting a new project, I realized that not only are my Jam Packs nowhere to be found, the loops no longer appear in the loop library and I can't find the software instruments and effects that came with them!

FYI I had all the Jam Packs. I also had a bunch of custom effects I'd made.

Not sure how I feel about the new layout either, but I can get used to a little more space between tracks. I DO like that the loop browser and clipper can be viewed simultaneously. It'll take some getting used to, is all.

I thought that since Apple branded iLife '11 as an "important update" that it might just be, you know, an update - a glorified 5GB patch to a software suite...but it appears to have overwritten about 25GB of files!

Should note that it did NOT erase my saved projects and didn't touch my AU components.

I could dig up the Jam Pack disks (or disk images, forget what I did with 'em exactly) but they're at home and I'm not.

Anyone else have similar issues or can offer a resolution...? I'm aware it's not a huge problem, but certainly an annoyance and given what I've heard about other iLife '11 software (namely iPhoto)...

2. quango macrumors newbie

Hi there.

I've had the same issue, I think it's a change of layout rather than the fact that they are missing. Try this:

Click on the loops button at the bottom right of the garageband screen.

At the top of the column it says "loops", click here and select "show all", rather than garageband.

All my Jam Packs were there.

Hope this works for you, too.

Best,

Quango