Garageband 3 question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pfisher, Jan 31, 2011.

1. pfisher macrumors member

How do you backup Garageband files to another HD? My problem, on a Mac G4 running OS 10.4.11, it has GB 3 which I would like to copy or backup the GB files to another hard drive. Once I replace the old HD, reinstall OS, reinstall GB, I want to restore the GB files to the new drive. I need the GB files to be perfectly intact without any problems.

Any suggestions?

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean the project files and the associated media files or the Garage Band Sample files?

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'd get an external drive housing, put the new drive in the housing, and clone the internal to the new drive (SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner). Then I'd take the new drive and replace the old one in the Mac. Done. No need to install OS, software, or copy any individual files.

4. pfisher thread starter macrumors member

By cloning the new drive, this doesn't mess up any user settings or software from not functioning, right? I don't want to clone the old small HD to a bigger drive, only to find out that the teacher can't open her files or Office doesn't work. Maybe some files went missing. You know what I mean? As long as I have the reassurance that cloning is better in this case than reinstalling everything, I would do it.

In terms of GB, I am a GB novice. I don't know the file structure so could someone explain this to me? What GB files are extremely important to copy over to a new drive?

5. pfisher thread starter macrumors member

6. simsaladimbamba

Yes, it doesn't mess up anything if you let the cloning process complete and selected to make a clone of the entire HDD.
    What cloning software did you use btw?

A clone is a 1:1 copy, therefore when not interrupting the process or setting wrong parameters, you will have a 100% working copy.

As I am still unsure about that:
    I just ask this:

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Sorry for not seeing your response. Since your current system is working, a clone, being an exact copy, will transfer everything over and it will work exactly the same (except some licensed software that is keyed off of the drive serial number will require re-registering, but you would have to do that anyway). It will take far less time to do and will require almost zero of your time -- you just need to start the cloning program and indicate the source and destination drive. I'd recommend SuperDuper! as it is extremely easy to use.

8. pfisher thread starter macrumors member

Talmy,

Thanks for your response. Can you tell me more about GB? Specifically, the file structure. What are the important GB files to copy over in event something goes wrong with the cloning process?

9. simsaladimbamba

And the guessing game continues.

What about the Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Music / GarageBand folder?
    Or the Macintosh HD / Applications / GarageBand package?
    Or what about the Macintosh HD / Library / Audio / Apple Loops folder?
    Or what about the Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support / GarageBand folder?
    Or what about the Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Application Support / GarageBand folder?

Each folder has a different purpose, and as you avoid my question about what you want to back up specifically, I just write this:
    1. project data
    3. samples and loops
    4. more support files
    5. personal settings and support files

10. pfisher thread starter macrumors member

simsaladimbamba:

Do you care to explain this comment: "And the guessing game continues". What guessing game. I am pretty clear that I don't know GB.

In regards to avoiding your question: "What you want to back up specifically". I am sorry that I didn't attend Garage Band 101 or GB for idiots. If I knew the answers why would I be wasting my time asking questions on this forum?

Could someone else explain, the procedure on cloning one HD to another. Do I install SuperDuper on the smaller HD?

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The "guessing game" is why are you concerned about specific GarageBand files? SuperDuper! will copy everything. There is no reason to be concerned about any specific file being or not being copied. That's why I suggested it in the first place.

12. pfisher thread starter macrumors member

Talmy:

The guessing game would stop on my end if my questions get fully answered and the answers are very clear to understand.

Again, I will ask this question, do I install SuperDuper to the smaller hard drive?

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yes, it's the only place you can install it. You have to run SuperDuper! to transfer all the files to the new larger drive. SuperDuper! will be transferred to the new drive, along with OS X, GarageBand, and everything else. Anything originally on the larger drive (and there shouldn't be anything on a new drive) will be lost.