GarageBand ability to edit audio files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davide445, Oct 10, 2013.

1. davide445 macrumors newbie

Just bought GarageBand since I need to edit audio files (trim, slow, etc) and wanted also to have a more complete mixer, arranger etc.

With my great surprise I can't find any way to do that. I'm just too unexperienced and there is a way to edit an audio file or I need to go for another program, such as Audacity (free!).

2. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

GB can easily edit songs. For instance, my sister is a dance instructor and she routinely needs to have a 5 minute song trimmer to 2:45. GB is great for that.

I think GB will only allow you to slow down or speed up a track that you record (as opposed to a song you drag in). I use Audacity for that.

3. davide445 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly the use I want to do: help my girlfriend that is dance instructor. But she need to slow down or trim audio files she find for her lessons, will be possible to do that?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

You might also try any of the following:
    - Audacity
    - Reaper
    - Cubase AI5 (will register for free if you can find it online)

5. bobsax macrumors regular

bobsax

If its a 6min tune and you need 4 min just split it at 4 delete the rest and use automation to fade.
    You can also throw another tune in on another track and fade it in to go from one song to another smoothly

6. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Too simplistic for what is usually needed in these cases. For my sister, I usually have to cut out a verse or 2, but keep the original ending.

If I have to slow something down, I use Audacity, then do the editing in Garageband.

When splicing, I use different audio tracks. I'll break the first track shortly after the edit point, then again shortly before the "come back in" point. I'll put that in the next track and use the volume fading capability to fade one out (so quickly it's unnoticeable) while fading the next one in.