Garageband and an external hard drive question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ReverendCharm, Apr 16, 2011.

1. ReverendCharm macrumors newbie

I just have a couple questions if anyone has the time to answer them.

1. If I'm using a firewire 800 external drive to RECORD my audio onto (i have my garageband folder there) would it also be a good idea workflow-wise to add sound libraries and loops from garageband to the external as well? Or is it better to leave those on the internal drive with the OS

2. If I were to move garageband loops and sound libraries to the external, exactly what folders would need to be moved and how would I direct garageband to where they are once they've been moved.

Any ideas on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

There's no benefit to moving them to an external unless you need to free up space on your system drive. I have all my Logic content on my system drive along with all my other content from Toontrack, NI, etc.

3. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Agreed. Usually those types of files are loaded into RAM anyways.

4. ReverendCharm thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks ..thats exactly what I needed to know ..I have plenty of space on my internal so I will keep them there. I just wanted to be sure that it wouldnt be better for the whole overall flow of information for the libraries to be on the external as well. Thanks alot guys

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

What problem are you trying to solve? Out of space? If so them simply move the folder and in place of the folder make a link (Apple calls it an "alias") that points to where ever you moved the folder to.

If you want it to go faster you are out of luck. It will still take 4 minutes to play a four minute song.