GarageBand and iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 11colmil, Mar 3, 2011.

1. 11colmil macrumors member

11colmil

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

With the release of the iPad 2, Apple announced GarageBand for iOS. Will the iPhone 4 be able to run GarageBand or is it limited to iPad 2 users?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple.com specifies that iMovie is only compatible with iPhone 4, iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad 2, but they don't list the specifications for GarageBand. We might have to wait until next friday to find, but I'm betting that its only going to be for the iPad 2.

3. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

4. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

iPad 2 only I'm afraid... I was kind of expecting it to make it to the iPhone, although it is sort of a gimmick :D

Ams.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It would have to be re-designed. They can't just shrink the 9-panel view onto an iPhone screen and expect it to be useful.

They could make one where, like, you scroll between different filters or something. Perhaps they will do that. But it'd have to be a new version.

My guess: They will make it but it'll be on the iPhone 5 for free and costs $1 for i4 users at that point. That'd match up with those accounting rules that's making them charge $1 for Facetime on the Mac right now.

6. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

That's lame. Oh well, I use a few different photo apps for my filtering needs.

7. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Probably for free. We are charged for iMovie to being with; unlike Facetime for Mac it could/would be an upgrade to an already purchased/accounted for item

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it is a gimmick that my 3 year old nephew is going to go crazy for.

9. patp Guest

sorry for the off topic post, but will Garageband work on first gen iPad?

any thoughts on 256 mb of ram handling Garageband?

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I have heard that yes it will.

11. 11colmil thread starter macrumors member

11colmil

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm hoping it will. When iMovie first came out for iPhone 4, I was waiting to see what other iLife apps Apple ports. Maybe they will do iWork next.

12. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Let me just say that this could be pure speculation and has no technical backing, but I would assume GarageBand would work fine on an original iPad. Here's why...

GarageBand originally required the following system requirements on its Mac version:

Mac OS X 10.2.6 or later, 600 MHz G3 CPU (G4 or faster required for software instruments), 256MB RAM, QuickTime 6.4 or later, 1024 x 768 resolution display (minimum), DVD drive required for installation

Now, I know that the iPad ≠ Mac and the GarageBand version on the iPad probably has little in common with the Mac version from a codebase level, but if they could run an arguably more taxing version of it (at least something that had to play well with other applications) on the old G3 processor, I suspect that its iOS cousin could work fairly well on the iPad.

Of course, again, this is speculation...

13. 11colmil thread starter macrumors member

11colmil

The A4 an the G3 are two different architectures. Thats like saying we should be able to run OS X Jaguar on the iPad with a few code changes. Garageband has to be completely rewritten to run on the iPad. So the requirements might, scratch that, WILL be different.

14. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I was never implying that...I was just say that everyone thinks we need a 8-core 3GHz computer to run anything these days, but people rarely think about what could be done with arguably less processing power a few years ago. I know MHz don't really tell the whole story, especially with different architectures, but maybe comparing instructions per second could also give some indication: the G3 found on Macs capable of handling GarageBand 1.x can do anywhere between 300 and 500 Million Instructions Per Second...the Cortex A8 in Apple's A4 chip in the iPad does 2000 MIPS at 1GHz.

Even this isn't the best comparison, but for those people saying that the first-generation iPad doesn't have the horsepower to handle the type of tasks GarageBand offers, I disagree.

15. musicbymicah macrumors newbie

I'm not even worried about multitrack capability; I just want the amp sims. There's no doubt that Apple's working on it and I'd bet it'll blow all these other multitrack/amp sims away. I think the Apogee JAM had to come first, though. These other input devices that have come out are just trash, and that's being nice. I'm glad I didn't jump on the wagon...

And for the record, the JAM is supposed to interface with other multitrack/amp sims that already exist, if anyone is wondering. I wish I could go pick it up today.

16. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

I just wish Garageband was available for the iPhone too..:(

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, a gimmick that netted almost 500 new pictures on my computer the last time I was at a family reunion and went outside for a smoke...kids love that ****.

18. raymondpaul macrumors newbie

even if it comes to iPhone, it won't be as much fun to use as it is in iPad 2.