Garageband App song

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pj13, Apr 10, 2011.

1. pj13, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

pj13 macrumors member

2. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Not my kind of music but nice try! :)

Pretty amazing that you can now record multitrack songs on a tablet. I still remember using the 4-8 track tape recorders back then! :cool:

3. pj13 thread starter macrumors member

amazing indeed

thanks for listening anyway. it is amazing to me too. i remember being in awe of 4-track cassette recorders when they first came out.

i think with the Garageband App any style or genre is possible, i just happen to like experimental music.

4. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Ironically, cannot seem to listen to the song, hosted on that site, on my iPad. Flash?

6. pj13, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

pj13 thread starter macrumors member

7. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

very neat, how did you do the vocals? through a processor or straight in and effects on the ipad?

8. tool80 macrumors newbie

tool80

Great Job!! Hearing this makes me want my ipad2 + Garageband even MORE!!!

9. Uln4321 macrumors regular

I listened to it on my iPad.

10. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

He changed the link in the original post to a link on a different server that is iPad friendly. The original link was to somewhere where the iPad could not play it.

Mike

11. pj13 thread starter macrumors member

tremlock - i used the Garageband sampler and the onboard mic. the mic works surprisingly well. and the sampler is just downright fun.

Mike and Uln4321 - yep i changed the link- i have many music sites i just didn't test the original on my ipad (http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/8135808 same song, just not ipad friendly)

tool80, thank you. i have many iPad and iPod touch music creation apps, but Garageband is very intuitive and easy to use. i enjoy it very much and think the possibilities are almost endless.

12. juliancs macrumors 6502

Can you double tap the midi regions in the arrange window? Does a piano roll come up?

13. pj13 thread starter macrumors member

if i understand your question correctly, when i double tap the midi regions in the arrange window i get the midi track highlighted with a Cut Copy Delete Loop Split option.

if this does not help, let me know and i'll try to answer again.

14. juliancs macrumors 6502

It does. Real shame. So if you hit a wrong note you have to re record the entire section?

15. pj13 thread starter macrumors member

oh i see what you mean. yeah i guess so. i don't see a way to correct or change individual midi notes.

maybe someone else who knows more could reply.

i see how that feature would be useful. hopefully in a future update?

16. juliancs macrumors 6502

hopefully! I'll be grabbing beatmaker 2 to do my sketches on, as it has it... thanks for the info!

17. pj13 thread starter macrumors member

you're welcome. i have not tried Beatmaker 2 but i will. i use and enjoy quite a few other music creation apps, i just wanted to challenge myself and see if i could create a song entirely in GB for iPad. i think i will do more. you are right, there are some limitations but i enjoy the application enough to work around/with them.

18. pj13 thread starter macrumors member

http://soundcloud.com/paco-jones/somewhere-over-there

here is one last track. i might just keep going with iPad and Garageband. i am really enjoying playing the virtual keyboards and synths in GB. i can see some room for additional features, particularly in editing and importing audio. but that said, it is a powerful and enjoyable to use music creation app.

i don't plan to post more here but if you're interested keep checking my SoundCloud site as i plan to just keep making them.

19. Gomff macrumors 6502a

The fact that you can't edit midi notes after the fact is a pain. I bought GarageBand and used it a couple of times but the lack if this feature is the reason why it never gets used anymore and I wish I'd never bought it.
    :(

20. pj13 thread starter macrumors member

i can see where that could be a pain, i figure they'll update it. but until then i'm enjoying playing the instruments. no, it's not a full-featured DAW like Logic but i really don't think it can be beat for 5 bucks. all the other music creation apps i have tried cost more for less stuff than is in Garageband. the other app mentioned on this thread Beatmaker 2 is 19.99 so i think GB is a good deal. sometimes if i get one good sound out of a music purchase it's worth it to me.

i don't work for Apple or anything and i use lots of music apps, i just really like this one. i'm gonna make a whole album on it. ;)

which music apps do you like? i'd love to check them out.