garageband: bleeding tracks

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by DIA87, Jan 12, 2009.

1. DIA87 macrumors newbie

hey everyone,
    just joined this forum hoping someone can help me on this one.
    basically been recording two tracks and have some audio from the end of the first that i want to run continually, seamlessly into the start of the second.
    i set up all the tracks from the first that i needed in the second, all at the same levels and same effects, then copied in what i wanted in the right place.
    problem is there is a serious volume jump at the start of the second track, much louder than at the end of the first.
    i'm assuming this is a serious rookie mistake! is it a case of the overall volume being lowered with the more tracks you have? there are tracks in the first song that don't play until the end and so aren't in the second.

any help on this would be great! cheers

2. dtk macrumors newbie

The more you use garageband the more you'll start to hate it. However it is great for casual music creation. But basically, I think the problem is the auto-normalising.

Go into Preferences > Advanced and you will see the option there "Export Songs at Full Loudness"

However you might find that this screws up the levels you had in the first place, and the whole project might sound too quiet. If so, you just have to adjust them manually.

I've found that garageband can be quite deceiving with volumes. I have a track that sounds perfect when played in garageband, but once I export it it is messed up (too quiet with Auto-Normalising on, and distorts in places without). Even though it sounds exactly how I want it when played in garageband. It's not a what-you-hear-is-what-you-get program. Frustrating!

3. DIA87 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that!
    i haven't got round to trying it yet but it seems like the best option, i've tried everything else i can think of.
    yeah i never really noticed the inadequacies of garagband when i was recording my band's demo, which is why i always defended it. it's only since i started doing my own stuff that i have. (probably a case of recording something that isn't a mess of noise in the first place!)