GarageBand . . Can I Delete Safely

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lugesm, Dec 14, 2007.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

My apologies up front if this is a dumb question. I am new to Mac (3 months) and still uncertain about a lot of things.

As an example: Can I safely drag GarageBand to the trash without affecting anything else on the computer? What about other Apple applications that I will never use?

During my 15+ years experience with Windows I learned to keep my computer as simple as possible, retaining only those applications that I needed . . . never allowing useless clutter on the computer. With that said, I have to comment that I never once saw the so-called "Blue Screen of Death" on my Windows computer.

Given my past experience, my natural inclination is to keep this iMac as simple as possible, but (as Einstein once said) "not too simple."

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

There's not really any significant benefit to throwing away apps you don't use on the Mac, other than saving a little bit of hard drive space. Besides, it's mostly the loops for GarageBand that take up space on your hard drive, not the application itself.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yes you can delete them safely.

Of note: Garage band is a little special in that a large part of the application (several gigs), the sound loops, are stored in a different location. They are stored in:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand

You will also want to delete that GarageBand folder as well if you are looking to clean out and save space.

4. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

If you really want Mac OS X to be as de-cluttered as possible, you should do a fresh install and tell it not to install GarageBand or printer drivers/extra languages. You can trim your OS X installation down from ~20GB as shipped by Apple to about 5-10 GB, or maybe even lower.