Garageband doesn't work with SL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ercanbas, Sep 30, 2009.

1. ercanbas macrumors regular

Since I upgraded to Snow Leopard on my unibody 2.4 Macbook, Garageband fails every time. The blue dot appears at the bottom of the icon however nothing comes up. I have tried reinstalling with my Leopard cd but to no avail. I am not sure what version number it is but it is whatever came with Leopard. Anyone have this issue and a resolution?

2. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

nope

mine is working fine on all 3 computers. I upgraded and have been using GB for sound effects on videos with no issue. If no one has an idea I would suggest saving all your projects, removing GB and reinstalling it. There have been some reports of programs not working for some people after the upgrade.

Good luck

3. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Hey,

Does it happen when you try to open certain saved projects? Have you tried to create a new project? I had an issue like this with the previous version of garageband. I am currently on iLife 09 and have had no issues.

My issue was that Garageband would seem to open my project, but I couldn't click anywhere and would have to force quit. It was driving me crazy and I thought I would lose tons of work. Again this was with the version that shipped with iLife 08. If this sounds similar to your issue, let me know and I'll post the fix that I found.

Good luck!

4. ercanbas thread starter macrumors regular

I have never used Garageband therefore I have no saved filed. I did want to play around with it. I believe the same thing happens to me. I will open it, the blue dot appears under the icon in the dock, but on the menu bar, it just says Garageband. No File, edit, view, or anything like that. The application is unresponsive and I ALWAYS have to force quit. If you have a fix, I'd love to test it out. Thank you in advance!

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Try uninstalling and then re-installing. When you did the upgrade did you do a clean install or a upgrade install?

6. ercanbas thread starter macrumors regular

I mentioned that I had uninstalled and reinstalled but it didn't work. I also tried a clean install of SL but it does not correct it.

7. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Sorry, I don't think my issue was the same as yours. I had to edit the code of a bunch of my songs to get them to open. The issue wasn't (necessarily) happening with newly created songs. If you've never opened GB before, then I don't think this solution will help. I do hope you have better luck. Just a thought, but if you are not using ilife 09 you might consider it.