Garageband dreams...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NatronB, Apr 13, 2007.

1. NatronB macrumors regular

So here's my idea, and I'm sure it has major flaws which is why I'm posting this before I buy any more equipment:

I want to be able to play and sing along with my favorite songs using Garageband (sort of a Karaoke plus). It's absolutely essential that the real musicians drown out my vocals and limited instrument ability.

Here's what I have:

Mac Mini Core Solo, 1 GB RAM, Tiger
    Garageband
    Casio Midi interface Keyboard
    M-Audio Keystation MIDI controller - USB interface
    Numerous microphones
    Drums playing Girlfriend

Here's what I want:

iAxe (I know it sucks, save your breath)

Now, I don't see any reason why I can't use this: http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-US122-Audio-Interface-Software/dp/B0002DOXIK
    to just fool around and have a good time. Note: I don't need to record.

My question is, seeing I know nothing about what I'm doing, what are the flaws in my plan? How do I remedy them?

Thanks,

-Nate

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If you like Tascam's products, get the US122L not the (old) US122. The "L" is the new model with USB 2.0 support -- the old model is USB 1.0.

Max data rates: USB 1 supports 2 Mbit/s (1.5 MB/s) -- USB 2 is faster, supporting: 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s)

3. NatronB thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I guess my question is: can the Tascam (or any other product) handle more than 2 inputs at once? How many inputs can Garageband handle at once?

-Nate

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

What are you planning on doing "live" with the multi-tracks? Vocals or instruments + vocals, or ??? How many tracks?

I don't think the 122L can do >2 inputs, but check Tascam's docs online to be certain. If you browse around ZZSounds.com's computer music section, browse through the USB and Firewire audio interface sections and there's usually links to the manfacturer's documentation for each product. How many tracks a device can handle at once is one of the secrets the manufacturer has buried somewhere in the docs, unfortunately. And sometimes the actual "specs" quoted are somewhat confusing.

Recording >2 track at once will tax the USB (or Firewire) bus as well as the cpu. It'd be interesting to find out how many track (at once) a stock mini solo could do...

There are devices USB or Firewire that can send >2 track, but as you know, you'd need DAW software that is capable of doing >two. GarageBand can do 8-tracks at once, with suitable hardware. I haven't tried it -- I don't use GarageBand that much other than to capture some musical ideas at home. If I have time this weekend I'll try it with a PreSonus Firebox I have and see how well it works. :)

The 16-bit limitation of Garageband is the only thing that stops me from making much use of it. Still, that's CD quality, which isn't all that shabby. You could do a lot with it! ;)

5. NatronB thread starter macrumors regular

I was hoping to run at least two mic inputs + the Midi keyboard through the Tascam.

Would the US-144 fair any better?

Thanks, -Nate

6. NatronB thread starter macrumors regular